Staff vb3 test open: see moderator forum
Race Sim Central Forums
[user menu: pm_chat_calendar_member index_member awards_staff index_faq_contact rsc_forum mainpage]

[important: forum rules] [rule 3E re-worded: 14-june-2003] [login problems: check cookies_request your password] [not logged in: login_register]
[useful forums: news_wallpapers_real racing_report forum problem]
Race Sim Central Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 Race Sim Central Forums > Papyrus & Sierra Simulation Discussions > Grand Prix Legends > Alison Hine about GTR 2002
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PeterS
Newbie Member

[ip: logged]

Alison Hine about GTR 2002 [forum post: 516831]

Quote:

"I agree with all the raves, guys. GTR 2002 is fantastic! As I said on r.a.s., this is the first sim in four years that has grabbed my interest the way GPL did. It's awesome!

The tire model is especially amazing. I haven't driven any real-world Ferraris or Vipers, but at 2400 lb my Cobra weighs almost the same as the 1200 kilo cars in this sim. It's only got 225 hp, but I've driven similar Cobras with as much as 600 hp - and recently drove one with a suspension setup virtually identical to mine, but with 350 hp. It's still a little short of horsepower compared to the N-GT cars, and lacks downforce, but it's a reasonably close match.

So far I've spent most of my time in the GT3 Porsche, and it's amazing how similar it feels to the real-world Cobras, especially at the limit. The way the car behaves as you approach and slightly exceed the tires' peak grip is eerily real - as is what happens if you step too far beyond the limit. The way the brakes lock and what the car does if you do, the things that happen if you give it too much throttle, and - most deliciously - what happens when you get the car perfectly balanced on the throttle in midcorner - everything seems so true to life, it's awesome!

Doug told me he spend three months on this aspect of the handling alone - and I think it was time well spent!

A thousand thanks to Doug Arnao and to the entire SimBin Development Team - and to the F1 2002 team at ISI and EA Sports as well! I have a feeling your creation is going to keep me fascinated for a long time to come! "

Interesting little review by Alison Hine. At the Simbin Forum there's an discussion (mind, it's no flamewar!) going on about the differences between GPL and GTR2002. Have a look.

Peter Schreuder

Last edited by PeterS on 03-12-2002 at 21:15

[go: top_bottom_report post to staff_report forum problem]

Old Post 03-12-2002 21:10
PeterS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PeterS Click here to Send PeterS a Private Message Find more posts by PeterS Add PeterS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G_Toronto

[forum post: 516857]

Anyone have a download link for this mod.

Old Post 03-12-2002 21:24
G_Toronto is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G_Toronto Click here to Send G_Toronto a Private Message Find more posts by G_Toronto Add G_Toronto to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Bakker
Gold Member

[forum post: 516859]

Here:
http://forum.racesimcentral.com/sho...&threadid=52447

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
http://www.defenderclub.nl

Old Post 03-12-2002 21:25
Netherlands Rob Bakker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Bakker Click here to Send Rob Bakker a Private Message Visit Rob Bakker's homepage! Find more posts by Rob Bakker Add Rob Bakker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Michael T Denham
Silver Member

[forum post: 516943]

Thanks for the quote. It's interesting to have the opinion of someone who races similar cars to those in GTR2002. Now I just need F12002....

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Add me to your GPL buddy list.
N 49? 14.011', W 122? 33.659'

Old Post 03-12-2002 22:07
Canada Michael T Denham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Michael T Denham Click here to Send Michael T Denham a Private Message Find more posts by Michael T Denham Add Michael T Denham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Monza Gorilla
Silver Member
Aficianado

[forum post: 516956]

I agree with Ms Hine. The mod is amazing you MUST try it.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
And a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a Smoke - Rudyard Kipling

Old Post 03-12-2002 22:15
Australia Monza Gorilla is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Monza Gorilla Click here to Send Monza Gorilla a Private Message Visit Monza Gorilla's homepage! Find more posts by Monza Gorilla Add Monza Gorilla to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buzz_Leonhardt
Bronze Member

[forum post: 517310]

is it specifically for F1 2002 or will it work for 2001 ?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Thanks GPLEA for the GREAT cars!

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

GPL RANK = -24.76
GPL MOG = -58.37

Old Post 04-12-2002 04:33
United States Buzz_Leonhardt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buzz_Leonhardt Click here to Send Buzz_Leonhardt a Private Message Find more posts by Buzz_Leonhardt Add Buzz_Leonhardt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Fletcher
President ADC

[forum post: 517344]

Buzz-

F12002 only. But might be worth buying it just to install this mod; it really is as good as advertised.

Fletch

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"Life is a crap sandwich, and we all have to take a bite"

Old Post 04-12-2002 05:50
David Fletcher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Fletcher Click here to Send David Fletcher a Private Message Find more posts by David Fletcher Add David Fletcher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Smith

[forum post: 517354]

I've tried to get it. It's hopeless. If someone can steer me to a link that works I will host it on my commercial website and my FTP server so others can download it.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
You can't have everything....Where would you put it?

Old Post 04-12-2002 06:05
Australia Paul Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Smith Click here to Send Paul Smith a Private Message Visit Paul Smith's homepage! Find more posts by Paul Smith Add Paul Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spitzz

[forum post: 517379]

Paul

Go to the link below and you will find a dozen servers or more

http://www.filemirrors.com/

Regards Pete

Old Post 04-12-2002 06:32
spitzz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spitzz Click here to Send spitzz a Private Message Find more posts by spitzz Add spitzz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vex

[forum post: 517450]

Is the mod better than GTMod V3 for F12001?

But....all those mod's are good for hotlappers. Someone who mainly likes to do races online, like me, cannot enjoy those mods to the fullest due to lack of proper internet multiplayer mode.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Veijo Lahtinen

Old Post 04-12-2002 07:57
Finland Vex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vex Click here to Send Vex a Private Message Find more posts by Vex Add Vex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jjspierx

[forum post: 517496]

Quote:
Originally posted by Vex
Is the mod better than GTMod V3 for F12001?

But....all those mod's are good for hotlappers. Someone who mainly likes to do races online, like me, cannot enjoy those mods to the fullest due to lack of proper internet multiplayer mode.

Yes the mod is quite a bit better than the GTMod V3...the the cars handle a lot more realistically and believeably. And actually they are easier to drive than the V3 mod cars. If you went of track in the V3 mod, it was almost impossible to keep control and get back on track without spinning. The sand does a better job of slowing the car in this mod. I haven't played around too much with it yet, but I definently like it better. Plus the new tracks that come with it are an added bonus and there more cars. The engine sounds are the best I've ever heard from a game, spectacular.

One thing I don't like is the cornering at the limits, doesn't seem quite sensitive enough to me. Throttle inputs should have more of a reaction on the car. I can corner at the absolute limits and let off the throttle completely and the car doesn't oversteer near as much as I feel it should. But maybe thats because I am using the default setups which are easy to drive or something. Either way, its still a great mod. Top notch.

Old Post 04-12-2002 08:57
jjspierx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jjspierx Click here to Send jjspierx a Private Message Find more posts by jjspierx Add jjspierx to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

[forum post: 517604]

Quote:
Originally posted by Vex

Sure, the online code isn't as good as gpl/n2k2's, but it's not that bad with f12k2 anymore than it used to with f12k1. There are just some basics you have to be aware of and it works pretty well.

It's suggested the host as well as the clients set the connection speed to 56k, regardless of the real speed. It's important all participants use the same connection speed. We did races with up to 9 drivers and it worked flawlessly. If you have a smaller field you could try setting the speed to ISDN, which results in even smoother racing.

IMO, it's running at least as good as gpl. How it works with a bigger field remains to be seen though.

Quote:
Originally posted by jjspierx

One thing I don't like is the cornering at the limits, doesn't seem quite sensitive enough to me. Throttle inputs should have more of a reaction on the car. I can corner at the absolute limits and let off the throttle completely and the car doesn't oversteer near as much as I feel it should. But maybe thats because I am using the default setups which are easy to drive or something. Either way, its still a great mod. Top notch.

Indeed, Doug Arnao's setups seem to be on the safe side with a lot of understeer. Maybe you want to give one of my setups a try. This one is for an N-GT Porsche (Pirelli) at Brands Hatch.

996gt3_km_brands.zip Attachment: 996gt3_km_brands.zip
This has been downloaded 16 time(s).

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Old Post 04-12-2002 11:17
karma is offline Click Here to See the Profile for karma Click here to Send karma a Private Message Find more posts by karma Add karma to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nev Roberts

[forum post: 517612]

Just threw the 360 around Monza - I can still hear the Tifosi.

It is good, particularly the audio and I like the dynamics. The Fazz and the Porsche certainly wanted to hang their tails out.

I even tried the Ferrari sound in Legends but alas the lovely growl in the mod wasn't there in GPL.

Maybe a sound guru can take all the files in the mod and make something with that growl or snarl for the 312 in GPL.

Disappointed with the minimalist cockpit though - not much better than Toca 2 and while they fixed not feeling the rough if you get off the track that was in F1 2002 there's now no feeling on the kerbs.

However all in all good fun.
Nev

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"the steering wheel is only there in case you make a mistake".

Old Post 04-12-2002 11:21
Nev Roberts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nev Roberts Click here to Send Nev Roberts a Private Message Find more posts by Nev Roberts Add Nev Roberts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sandeep_Banerjee
Silver Member

[forum post: 517629]

I agree with ur sig quote 100% Nev

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
GPL rank :- -1.24

A grown man like you playing computer games? Tsk-tsk!

Old Post 04-12-2002 11:30
India Sandeep_Banerjee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sandeep_Banerjee Click here to Send Sandeep_Banerjee a Private Message Find more posts by Sandeep_Banerjee Add Sandeep_Banerjee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nev Roberts

[forum post: 517637]

Sandeep,

Not original, but I can't remember who actually said it. Maybe Moss or Fangio?

Anyone know?
Nev

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old Post 04-12-2002 11:37
Nev Roberts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nev Roberts Click here to Send Nev Roberts a Private Message Find more posts by Nev Roberts Add Nev Roberts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
faut_que_ca_clanche

[forum post: 517751]

Hi,

Can someone tell me if I can run F1 2002 (only for the mod) with a Voodoo 5 5500 ???

I don't want to buy it and then simply look at the box...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Jean-Marc

Just me and my machine, taking a ride to the red line...

Old Post 04-12-2002 13:34
Canada faut_que_ca_clanche is offline Click Here to See the Profile for faut_que_ca_clanche Click here to Send faut_que_ca_clanche a Private Message Find more posts by faut_que_ca_clanche Add faut_que_ca_clanche to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roger W
Silver Member

[forum post: 517874]

Quote:
Originally posted by Nev Roberts
Sandeep,

Not original, but I can't remember who actually said it. Maybe Moss or Fangio?

Anyone know?
Nev

Take a look at GPL foolishness for a Moss quote resembling this:
http://website.lineone.net/~richardn/

(second search for 'moss' on the main page)

Far from a perfect match, but he meant about the same thing

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
How can I fail when I have no purpose?

/Roger W

Old Post 04-12-2002 15:12
Sweden Roger W is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roger W Click here to Send Roger W a Private Message Find more posts by Roger W Add Roger W to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Michael T Denham
Silver Member

[forum post: 517975]

Is this the bit you were talking about in there Roger?

"Steering is used to present the car, then to compensate for the throttle, because as one opens the throttle, and car starts to slide you may have to use the steering wheel to compensate - to balance the power. I would describe the steering wheel as the presenter and balancer really."

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Add me to your GPL buddy list.
N 49? 14.011', W 122? 33.659'

Old Post 04-12-2002 16:38
Canada Michael T Denham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Michael T Denham Click here to Send Michael T Denham a Private Message Find more posts by Michael T Denham Add Michael T Denham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Johnson
Gold Member

Addon Slave
Keeping it REAL !!

[forum post: 517977]

Quote:
Originally posted by faut_que_ca_clanche
Hi,

Can someone tell me if I can run F1 2002 (only for the mod) with a Voodoo 5 5500 ???

I don't want to buy it and then simply look at the box...

yes runs fine with no problems, and look awsome with FSAA.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Bruce's Old Stuff or you could try my new site at: Bruce's New Stuff

Old Post 04-12-2002 16:40
Europe Bruce M. Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce M. Johnson Click here to Send Bruce M. Johnson a Private Message Visit Bruce M. Johnson's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce M. Johnson Add Bruce M. Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
faut_que_ca_clanche

[forum post: 517980]

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M. Johnson

yes runs fine with no problems, and look awsome with FSAA.

YESSSSSSS

Thanks Bruce.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Jean-Marc

Just me and my machine, taking a ride to the red line...

Old Post 04-12-2002 16:42
Canada faut_que_ca_clanche is offline Click Here to See the Profile for faut_que_ca_clanche Click here to Send faut_que_ca_clanche a Private Message Find more posts by faut_que_ca_clanche Add faut_que_ca_clanche to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jon Ferraez
Bronze Member
COBRHA, ASRL league champ

[forum post: 518188]

The curbs have really good force feedback for me but I have also put in custom force feedback levels into my PLR file that a guy named No. 1 made for the MOMO steering wheel. You should try it if you have one. This game uses custom force levels for every little thing such as curbs.. and they have been extensively tweaked in the attached file that you can use in your PLR file if you have this wheel.

This is for the Logitech MOMO Force and Racing wheels.

In game Force Feedback strength settings are -100.

No deadzones on any axis.

Speed sensitivity 0 %

Sensitivity on X axis 35 % (steering)
Sensitivity on Z axis 70 % (Throttle)
Sensitivity on RZ axis 70 % (Brakes)

In the Gaming options, on the Logitech MOMO properties,

Overall effects strength 95 %.
Spring effect strength 150 %.
Damper effect strength 0 %.

Last thing, i used DXtweak to get rid off the 50 % deadzone that excists in this game on the brakes and throttle.

Remember that the original DXtweak utility is not designed to work with the MOMO steering wheel. You need to use DXtweak2.

It is not difficult to correctly setup your axis in this program so use your own judgement if you want to do this.

Open the DXtweak program and click on the X/Y box the Z box and the R box.

Enter these values on the X/Y axis, min 0,cen 511,max 1024. (steering)
Enter these values on the Z axis, min 0, cen 128, max 256 (Throttle)
Enter these values on the R axis, min 0, cen 128, max 256 (Brakes)

These are the standard values for the MOMO steering wheel.

If you want to get rid off the big deadzone on the Throttle and brakes change the Z and R axis to the double amount that is in the box you just typed.

So it will look like this.

Values on the Z axis, min 0, cen 256, max 512 (Throttle)
Values on the R axis, min 0, cen 256, max 512 (Brakes)

You now have the full use off the pedal travel in F1 2002.

If you play more racing games you need to bring the Z and R axis back before you play another game because otherwise you be racing with throttle and brakes on for 50 %.

And then use the custom force feedback levels from this section of my PLR file that I'am attaching. Replace the existing force feedback level lines with the contents that are in my attached file. That file to change is located in your /F1 2002/GTR2002save/playername/ folder. The .PLR file contains the force feedback settings at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nev Roberts
and while they fixed not feeling the rough if you get off the track that was in F1 2002 there's now no feeling on the kerbs.
Nev

f12002momo_controller.txt Attachment: f12002momo_controller.txt
This has been downloaded 30 time(s).

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Jon Ferraez :: JF Carsets for GPL

Last edited by Jon Ferraez on 05-12-2002 at 00:40

Old Post 04-12-2002 19:06
United States Jon Ferraez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jon Ferraez Click here to Send Jon Ferraez a Private Message Visit Jon Ferraez's homepage! Find more posts by Jon Ferraez Add Jon Ferraez to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nev Roberts

[forum post: 518855]

Jon,

Thanks for your detailed reply. Hyper Stimulators don't support force feedback so I'll have to live with it.

Not a real problem in fact the only real disappointment with the mod are the cockpits.

But I love the audio.

Thanks again,
Nev

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old Post 05-12-2002 04:54
Nev Roberts

[forum post: 518859]

Thanks Roger and Michael,

If ever I find the exact source of the quote I'll post the answer.

Cheers
Nev

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old Post 05-12-2002 04:56
Sandeep_Banerjee
Silver Member

[forum post: 518970]

sure thing, Nev.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
GPL rank :- -1.24

A grown man like you playing computer games? Tsk-tsk!

Old Post 05-12-2002 06:53
India Sandeep_Banerjee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sandeep_Banerjee Click here to Send Sandeep_Banerjee a Private Message Find more posts by Sandeep_Banerjee Add Sandeep_Banerjee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roger W
Silver Member

[forum post: 519067]

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael T Denham
Is this the bit you were talking about in there Roger?

"Steering is used to present the car, then to compensate for the throttle, because as one opens the throttle, and car starts to slide you may have to use the steering wheel to compensate - to balance the power. I would describe the steering wheel as the presenter and balancer really."

Yep, that one! (and the rest of the quoted stuff there)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
How can I fail when I have no purpose?

/Roger W

Old Post 05-12-2002 08:19
Sweden Roger W is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roger W Click here to Send Roger W a Private Message Find more posts by Roger W Add Roger W to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote