Visit RaceSimCentral.com

Go Back   RaceSimCentral Forums > Racing Simulations > EA - Electronic Arts > EA Formula 1 Simulations & Mods > F1 Challenge '99-'02
Register FAQ Rules Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

F1 Challenge '99-'02 Discussion on the latest EA Games F1 sim and it's editing

Donate to RSC!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 20-09-2003, 12:28   #51
Fazlee
Registered

finally i know how to tune the differentials and all...
Senna-Irvine Suzuka '93
Fazlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2003, 19:36   #52
Mike89
Registered

OK I know I'm probably being a dumb *** here but exactly where do you extract these files to (which game folder) and how do you call up the setups in the game? I didn't see any reference to that reading the included PDF. I don't have the game yet, it's being shipped to me now.
AMD64 X2 4800, DFI N4 Ultra D, 2x1024 Corsair PC4000, MSI 7900GTX, Audigy 2 ZS, Lite-on DVD/CD, NEC 3520A Burner, 2 WD 250 gig SATA (16 meg cache) HDDs, Hauppage PVR 150 TV Tuner, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Antec 550 Watt NeoHE, Windows XP Pro
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2003, 20:30   #53
ForthRight
Registered

Once you have the game it will install to an F1 Challenge folder (C:\F1 Challenge... for example);

So the replays (VCR files) go in C:\F1 Challenge\Replays\...

A lot of replays you will find on the internet are done with the Ralph Hummerich 2003 Season so you will need that installed to view them.

To install the setups (SVM files) you will first need to load the game and create a profile with your name.
Once you have done this it will create a settings folder - C:\F1 Challenge\Save\YourName\Settings\... and within that folder you will find separate folders for each circuit. So Indy setups go in the 'United States' folder, Monza setups go in the 'Italy' folder etc.
It is pretty simple but you have to make sure you put the setup in the right folder (for example Imola is another Italian track but that is called 'San Marino' in the game setups folders).

It isn't too important because from within the games car setup menu (in-game when you have loaded a circuit) you can choose from the various circuit folders manually (so you can still start a Silverstone session and load your Indy setup for example) but it's nice to have them organised.

Telemetry files (LAP files) go in C:\F1 Challenge\Telemetry\Laps\... but you will rarely find them available to download on forums as they are over 200k. It's best to request them and give your email address so people can send them to you.

Don't worry about not being able to find your setups in the game (or the car setup option page you use to load them) - ISI have done quite a good job of laying out the menus nicely. It's not a nightmare like I thought the Grand Prix series menus were.

ForthRight.

F1 2002 World Rankings - www.FindTheLimit.com

"As light begins, and darkness fades,
You live your life, the great charade."

Last edited by ForthRight; 23-09-2003 at 20:33.
ForthRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2003, 21:29   #54
Mike89
Registered

Hey thanks for being 'Forthright' as your name implies, heh heh. I should be getting the game in the next couple of days. I have F1 2002 but never experimented with downloaded setups. I have done it in Nascar 2003 but the game menu options for F1 2002 was way more difficult for me to keep track of what I was doing. I still don't have the complete hang of it yet but I don't play it nearly as much as I do Nascar 2003.

So in your experience, how does F1 Challenge compare with F1 2002? I'm interested in your comments.

On a side note, what I would really like to see is a good IRL game ( I like ovals better than road courses plus I'm just much more familiar with IRL racing than Formula 1 racing, I'm a Sam Hornish fan big time) that compares to the F1 series or Nascar series. The Codemaster's one is a total joke (I never played the full game, just the demo and it was so bad it just blew my decision to buy the game. Seemed it was geared more for kids than someone who wanted a true realistic racing sim).
AMD64 X2 4800, DFI N4 Ultra D, 2x1024 Corsair PC4000, MSI 7900GTX, Audigy 2 ZS, Lite-on DVD/CD, NEC 3520A Burner, 2 WD 250 gig SATA (16 meg cache) HDDs, Hauppage PVR 150 TV Tuner, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Antec 550 Watt NeoHE, Windows XP Pro

Last edited by Mike89; 23-09-2003 at 21:40.
Old 23-09-2003, 22:27   #55
ForthRight
Registered

F1 Challenge is better than F1 2002 - yes they have added three more seasons of cars and track variations but the main difference is the physics. They removed some of the high speed grip and increased some of the low speed grip so it feels much better to drive - much more fun and consistent through the slow corners and much more challenging to push the limits on the high speed turns. Suzuka for example is very difficult now.
There was no real difference in frame rate for me and I just like driving F1 Challenge more.. that is the most important thing.

I would also love an IRL game. I am waiting for Indycar Racing 3 from Papyrus but I can't convince them to make it. Anyway, here is a link for an IRL mod (for Nascar Racing Season 2003) that is currently been worked on;

http://www.nros.org/irlmod/index.php

It is in early stages but hopefully it will be completed.

As for your question in the other thread (about the Indy circuit for F1 Challenge) - in that thread everyone is talking about the Indianapolis F1 circuit (which uses part of the Indy oval and then the cars turn in for the infield section - the race takes place on this circuit this weekend). There was a mod for F1 2002 which added the full Indy oval but I'm not sure if it is available for F1 Challenge.

Oh and I completely agree - Sam is the man. The fact that he still has a chance of winning the championship having had an uncompetitive engine for most of the IRL season proves he is an outstanding driver. I'd like to see him have a chance in F1, Montoya certainly didn't disappoint.

ForthRight.

Last edited by ForthRight; 23-09-2003 at 22:28.
Old 23-09-2003, 23:32   #56
Mike89
Registered

Well that's good news on the IRL racing mod. I hope they don't run into any problems with IRL over any copyrite issues. I heard that the IRL has officially licensed the Codemaster's crappy game (sure dunno why, you would think the IRL wouldn't want to put their name on something like that) and that they wouldn't take too kindly to someone using their name without their approval or making some money out of it. Maybe it will end up like Counterstrike where it started out as a mod and then Valve liked it so much they bought it.

Side note again. Is it true that Sam Hornish is moving to another team next year? I heard that somewhere and hope it's not true. I liked him in the yellow panther (and it's a dam good team).

Last edited by Mike89; 23-09-2003 at 23:38.
Old 23-09-2003, 23:49   #57
ForthRight
Registered

As far as I know Sam is going to Penske next season but I only have limited info in the UK. I don't follow IRL as much as F1 (all the gossip and news etc) I just watch the races when they are on TV here. Some really good finishes to the races there have been this season.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articl...-2195-092.html

ForthRight.

Old 24-09-2003, 00:27   #58
Mike89
Registered

Penske? Nooooooooooo, say it's not true! %$()&^@#!%^_%$@ bleep bleep Dam dam dam!

It's the team I'm always hoping is going to lose! Dam dam dam!

So which one of the guys are they going to dump? I don't figure it's going to be Castronevas (I don't care for the dude, too goody goody if you know what I mean). Or are they going to field three cars?

Dam dam dam, this sucks!

Okay, I got a hold of myself now, but barely. (dam it Sam, why'd ya do it)

Last edited by Mike89; 24-09-2003 at 00:32.
Old 24-09-2003, 03:28   #59
Dave Henrie
Registered

Contracts are already signed. Gil DeFerran is retiring(sp?) and Hornish is joining Castro-Neves.

dave henrie
Dave Henrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2003, 05:20   #60
Mike89
Registered

Forthright. I got the game up and running and your guide really helped me out a lot. I wouldn't have known what some of those settings did without reading your guide. Kudos to you.

Questions. In the game menu there are three controllers. Why three? Two of them are exactly the same (have the same settings to adjust).

Right next to the game exe there is the '3d setup'. Do you have to go into this each time you play the game to set the res? Cause each time I go into it, it's showing 800x600x16 when I had played it before at 1024x768x32. The game manual makes no reference to it.

Right now I'm trying to run with all aids off (like I do in Nascar 2003). Quite challenging, especially without traction control. Dam, I can barely get out of the pits without spinning, heh heh.

I downloaded the OWOR mod from xtreme racing. Pretty dam good. I had tried the Italian one for F1 2002 and couldn't even get it to work at all, crashed to desktop while loading every time. The OWOR one works like a charm.

I haven't run a race yet but in pit stops does it show the pit crew working on the car like Nascar does (in practice when going into the pits the practice is over and it shows nothing)?

Last edited by Mike89; 25-09-2003 at 05:31.
Old 25-09-2003, 17:18   #61
ForthRight
Registered

There aren't really 'three' controllers in the options page, you just set them to what you want. There are two the same because the game can recognise a wheel on ID1 or ID2 so it just depends what your wheel is recognised as. Don't worry about these two pages - set them so they are both exactly the same and you know you will using the right settings.

3DConfig should only need to be run once - it creates the Config.ini file which stores your settings. So if you choose 1024 res when you run 3DConfig the game should store that info and use it all the time.

If pit crew animations are set to high you will see lots of nice 3D pit crew changing tyres etc in a pit stop. However this pit crew animation High setting often messes up a lot of addon tracks and mods so some people set it to low by default.

ForthRight.

Old 25-09-2003, 21:23   #62
Mike89
Registered

Thanks for the help.

When setting the Pit Stop Animation to low, what do you actually see when driving into the pits during a race? Do you still see the pit crew actually working on your car? During practice when driving into the pits, there is no crew present and just one guy with the flag. When driving into the pit area, the car just spins diagonal (by itself) and the scene stops.

I don't see any option to assign a specific gear to a button like I can in Nascar 2003 (In Nascar I use the Act Labs Shifter). So I would assume a shifter won't work with this game, just the up/down shifting through buttons or wheel paddles.
Old 25-09-2003, 22:18   #63
ForthRight
Registered

Not sure what you see with pit animations low - probably nothing at all except the man who tells you when you can leave.

I don't think the style of shifting you mentioned is possible in F1 Challenge... which is a shame. I keep hearing in real life F1 commentry about the drivers 'pre-selecting' the gear for the upcoming corner. Not sure how they do this though.

ForthRight.

Old 25-09-2003, 23:13   #64
Sam J
Registered

There is a line in the player file Controls that mentions the actlabs shifter but I dont run one so it gets left alone
Sam J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2003, 23:21   #65
Sam J
Registered

sorry guys should have put this in first post

[ Controls ]
Keyboard Steering="0.10000"
Keyboard Throttle="0.10000"
Keyboard Brake="0.10000"
Keyboard Clutch="0.10000"
Force Feedback="0"
Mimic Steering="1" // Mimic AI or pitlane assistance with force feedback
Gear Select Button Hold="0" // Enable this option if using a gear select device that holds down a joystick button while in a gear and releases all buttons in neutral (such as the Act-Labs USB Shifter)

Plus in the M3 mod for f1c there are all sorts of buttons you can re-assign, like individual gears, light flashers, horn and handbrake, so one of the guys there should be able to help
Sam J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2003, 00:00   #66
Mike89
Registered

By that info it seems the shifter could be used but it would essentially be the same thing being a simple shift up and shift down instead of being able to manually select a particular gear.

My Act Labs Shifter has templates up to 9 gears but for something like F1 C, it probably wouldn't be good in practice because it just couldn't be shifted quick enough to be practical (with F1 or Indy cars) like shifting with the wheel paddles. Now for Nascar 2003, it's perfectly fine and the only way I'll drive that game. For me, without the 4 speed shifter ('H' pattern with reverse, being able to manually select any gear like the real thing) the realism factor drops way down.

Last edited by Mike89; 26-09-2003 at 00:01.
Old 30-09-2003, 02:44   #67
operato
Registered

Forthright could you post a telem of a good lap in Silverstone? <1.21.9 ?
operato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2003, 14:08   #68
ForthRight
Registered

Telemetry is too big to attach. I can send some by email though if you have email address.

ForthRight.

Old 01-10-2003, 16:47   #69
operato
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForthRight
Telemetry is too big to attach. I can send some by email though if you have email address.

ForthRight.
Not sure if you got my e-mail... mine is rob(at)fastmail.ca !
Old 01-10-2003, 17:27   #70
ForthRight
Registered

Okay I will send two telemetry laps to your email.

1.17.8 in 2002 Ferrari (without aids)
1.18.5 in 2002 McLaren (without aids)

ForthRight.

Old 02-10-2003, 16:05   #71
jules_crapule
Registered

this guide is really good! i'm a bit faster now.

does anyone know how to split the throttle/brake axis with a modena 360? i've installed the disc, downloaded the latest drivers and i can't split it

thanks in advance..
jules_crapule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 17:31   #72
ForthRight
Registered

I have no idea about that steering wheel.

It's Thrustmaster isn't it? For the Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 wheel I used you could only change split axis settings using the software that came with the wheel (rather than Windows Game Controllers stuff) but you say you have installed stuff so I am not sure.

Probably better to start a separate thread for your problem (Split axis with Modena wheel etc) because there might not be many people reading the post in this thread who can help.

ForthRight.

Old 02-10-2003, 18:11   #73
jules_crapule
Registered

yeah, it's thrustmaster.

thanks for your help..
jules_crapule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:16   #74
operato
Registered

Does anyone have a good setup for Imola... for stock F1C? Can't seem to break into < 1:30...
Old 07-10-2003, 15:05   #75
ForthRight
Registered

Here is an Imola setup.

Please don't expect too much - I made this in about 30 minutes for you today while driving Imola for the first time ever in F1 Challenge. I did about 20 laps and got a best time of 1.22.0. I also noticed that the curbs are an absolute nightmare here when driving Super High physics rate - really disgusting.

Your 1.30 does seem quite slow, maybe you are diving a slower car, I would expect you to do between 1.22 and 1.25 very quickly with this setup.

Hope you like it.

ForthRight.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CJC-Imola-Test.zip (766 Bytes, 278 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: