Visit RaceSimCentral.com

Go Back   RaceSimCentral Forums > Racing Simulations > EA - Electronic Arts > EA Formula 1 Simulations & Mods > F1 Challenge '99-'02
Register FAQ Rules Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

F1 Challenge '99-'02 Discussion on the latest EA Games F1 sim and it's editing

Donate to RSC!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2003, 16:50   #76
operato
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForthRight
Here is an Imola setup.

Please don't expect too much - I made this in about 30 minutes for you today while driving Imola for the first time ever in F1 Challenge. I did about 20 laps and got a best time of 1.22.0. I also noticed that the curbs are an absolute nightmare here when driving Super High physics rate - really disgusting.

Your 1.30 does seem quite slow, maybe you are diving a slower car, I would expect you to do between 1.22 and 1.25 very quickly with this setup.

Hope you like it.

ForthRight.
Oh man I suck. I forgot to mention this is the 99 track...

Last edited by operato; 07-10-2003 at 16:57.
operato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 18:56   #77
ForthRight
Registered

Which car are you actually using? 1999 season explains the lap times but I just wondered what car it was.

ForthRight.

F1 2002 World Rankings - www.FindTheLimit.com

"As light begins, and darkness fades,
You live your life, the great charade."
ForthRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 20:55   #78
operato
Registered

Quote:
Which car are you actually using? 1999 season explains the lap times but I just wondered what car it was.

ForthRight.
Ferrari :/
Old 12-10-2003, 17:22   #79
operato
Registered

Forthright after analysing your telemetry, I see you used the clutch in Stowe and 2 other times throughout the lap were you blipping the engine or something?

Thanks for the telem anyways my best time is a 1.20.032 can't seem to get those 1.16.6 or even 1.19
Old 13-10-2003, 14:43   #80
ForthRight
Registered

Really strange - people have mentioned this to me in the past after looking at my telemetry but I never press the clutch during a lap.

There are some turns (especially at Silverstone) where I downshift without braking or without even barely backing off the throttle - Stowe is one of those turns and also most the Maggots/Becketts section (I mentioned all this in the driving guide under Downshifting). This means when I downshift from 7th to 5th for example I am instantly using maximum revs for the gear and it keeps the speed up. Obviously I only use this in qualifying - it doesn't do much good for the engine's life and there can be stability issues if you lift the throttle too much and shift down to a lower gear without having knocked enough speed off (that's why I barely lift the throttle when doing this).

It still doesn't explain the clutch, although I think the game might show use of the clutch automatically if you are blipping the throttle on down shift. The only difference is I am not 'blipping' the throttle - I almost have it pressed to the floor.

By the way - 1.20.0 is still a good time for Silverstone without aids - maybe using the above technique for the fast section will help you improve. My Silverstone setup (included with the guide) has quite good stability for this type of downshifting.

ForthRight.

Old 13-10-2003, 15:08   #81
operato
Registered

Quote:
Really strange - people have mentioned this to me in the past after looking at my telemetry but I never press the clutch during a lap.

There are some turns (especially at Silverstone) where I downshift without braking or without even barely backing off the throttle - Stowe is one of those turns and also most the Maggots/Becketts section (I mentioned all this in the driving guide under Downshifting). This means when I downshift from 7th to 5th for example I am instantly using maximum revs for the gear and it keeps the speed up. Obviously I only use this in qualifying - it doesn't do much good for the engine's life and there can be stability issues if you lift the throttle too much and shift down to a lower gear without having knocked enough speed off (that's why I barely lift the throttle when doing this).

It still doesn't explain the clutch, although I think the game might show use of the clutch automatically if you are blipping the throttle on down shift. The only difference is I am not 'blipping' the throttle - I almost have it pressed to the floor.

By the way - 1.20.0 is still a good time for Silverstone without aids - maybe using the above technique for the fast section will help you improve. My Silverstone setup (included with the guide) has quite good stability for this type of downshifting.

ForthRight.
Forthright I only mentioned this because I thought you were doing it on purpose anyways... you should try turning off auto blip cause Telemetry shows two icons for aids and that would be auto blip. Also I used the same technique for downshifting but didn't get any clutch use so it might be that.

Edit: What would be the correct way of downshifting through the maggots/becketts without doing it the (bad way) causing engine damage?

I found it very interesting that the rpm spiked and then I looked at the clutch...
At any rate still damn fast :/

Last edited by operato; 13-10-2003 at 15:15.
Old 13-10-2003, 16:30   #82
ForthRight
Registered

I'm not sure what the real F1 drivers do for the Maggots/Becketts section. I would assume they use a small amount of left foot braking (with throttle still applied) just before the second part of that section (the final left, right, left) as this will knock some speed off. Then they probably downshift during the apex of each turn if they have slowed down enough so they can get better acceleration on the exit.

For me personally (in a race with fuel) I simply back off the throttle a lot more than in qualifying and the car soon slows down enough to downshift without engine damage. It just isn't as fast this way.

ForthRight.

Old 29-10-2003, 00:41   #83
operato
Registered

Forthright got any good Canada setups?
Old 29-10-2003, 13:03   #84
ForthRight
Registered

I haven't driven a lap of Canada since I bought F1 Challenge, and I'm sure my F1 2002 setup would not work very well.

I am working on Australia and Sepang at the moment but if I creat a Canada setup I will post it.

ForthRight.

Old 31-10-2003, 17:03   #85
operato
Registered

Quote:
I haven't driven a lap of Canada since I bought F1 Challenge, and I'm sure my F1 2002 setup would not work very well.

I am working on Australia and Sepang at the moment but if I creat a Canada setup I will post it.

ForthRight.
Still studying the telemetry from your silverstone laps, i don't get how you can blast through that last right hander in becketts complex at 220kph :/ I'm not braking throughout the left/right/lefts but getting some massive understeer on the last right hander which reduces speed to some 190kph.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:47   #86
ForthRight
Registered

I'm not sure - it's actually a few months since I drove Silverstone. However I do think I compromised my speed through the previous left hander (taking a tighter line) so that I can take a wider entry into the last right hander and carry more speed. It's very difficult, and driving in Super High physics rate means the curbs are a nightmare (every curb).

Do you use super high physics rate? If you don't then I think you should give it a try - the setups were made with that setting turned on and my laps were driven like that. So you might be faster with it turned on, just remember to avoid the curbs a lot more as they cause oversteer on contact.

ForthRight.

Edit;
If you are using the exact same setup I gave with the guide then try adding 1 to the front wing and 1 to the rear wing. This will hardly impact speed but does have an effect on the fast turns, including the becketts section.

Last edited by ForthRight; 01-11-2003 at 11:59.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:55   #87
ForthRight
Registered

Operato - Which car and season (year) are you using for Canada? Let me know and I'll try to make a setup for you. I need to try a different track (for a change) so it might as well be that one.

ForthRight.

Old 01-11-2003, 20:14   #88
operato
Registered

Quote:
Operato - Which car and season (year) are you using for Canada? Let me know and I'll try to make a setup for you. I need to try a different track (for a change) so it might as well be that one.

ForthRight.
1999 Ferrari Stock 1999 not mod.
Old 01-11-2003, 20:16   #89
operato
Registered

Quote:
I'm not sure - it's actually a few months since I drove Silverstone. However I do think I compromised my speed through the previous left hander (taking a tighter line) so that I can take a wider entry into the last right hander and carry more speed. It's very difficult, and driving in Super High physics rate means the curbs are a nightmare (every curb).

Do you use super high physics rate? If you don't then I think you should give it a try - the setups were made with that setting turned on and my laps were driven like that. So you might be faster with it turned on, just remember to avoid the curbs a lot more as they cause oversteer on contact.

ForthRight.

Edit;
If you are using the exact same setup I gave with the guide then try adding 1 to the front wing and 1 to the rear wing. This will hardly impact speed but does have an effect on the fast turns, including the becketts section.
Yes I do have super-high physics also have that extra curb sampling thing on as well. I'll try that wing suggestion.

I'm using your setup for season 2002 and 1999... is there anything that needs to be changed with the setups? Ferrari again. Thanks for your help
Old 01-11-2003, 22:35   #90
ForthRight
Registered

Sometimes the weight distribution can be changed when using a setup for different seasons and cars but it all depends on the car and what feels right. Also the 1999 cars have more understeer by nature.

1999 Ferrari for Canada? Okay I will try to make a setup for that car and circuit. What is your best or average lap times with that car at Canada? (just to give me something to aim for when working on the setup).

ForthRight.

Old 02-11-2003, 00:46   #91
operato
Registered

Quote:
Sometimes the weight distribution can be changed when using a setup for different seasons and cars but it all depends on the car and what feels right. Also the 1999 cars have more understeer by nature.

1999 Ferrari for Canada? Okay I will try to make a setup for that car and circuit. What is your best or average lap times with that car at Canada? (just to give me something to aim for when working on the setup).

ForthRight.
Usually getting around the 1.23's - 25... could go a lot faster but don't practice that much.

In 1999 silverstone best lap i've done is a 1.23.4xx with your setup +1 on each wing.

I'm tempted to attempt making my own car setups for tracks... too hmm.

Last edited by operato; 02-11-2003 at 00:51.
Old 02-11-2003, 13:09   #92
ForthRight
Registered

Well that was quite a shock - I didn't realise the 1999 Ferrari was so hard to drive. I have driven the 1999 cars before but mainly just the Minardi - when I tried the Ferrari I was all over place. I ended up having to build a setup around the handling problems of the car and it was harder than I thought - the setup is definitely optimised for that particular car (and year).

One thing I did notice with Canada are the replays - they are really good (using the TV trackside cameras) and you get lots of close ups showing off the car models. I think the replay cameras are better at Canada than any other track.

Attached is a replay of 1.21.2 with 60L of fuel onboard.

Old 02-11-2003, 13:11   #93
ForthRight
Registered

Attached is a replay of 1.19.9 using 3 laps of fuel (telemetry available).

Last edited by ForthRight; 02-11-2003 at 13:31.
Old 02-11-2003, 13:12   #94
ForthRight
Registered

And 188 laps later here is the setup. I hope it feels okay.

ForthRight.

Old 02-11-2003, 13:50   #95
operato
Registered

Quote:
And 188 laps later here is the setup. I hope it feels okay.

ForthRight.
Thanks for the setup
Have you tried driving your setup in 1999 silverstone?
Old 02-11-2003, 14:36   #96
ForthRight
Registered

No I haven't done that... I'd be surprised if it worked very well as Canada usually requires a different type of setup to most other tracks, but at the same time the setup did make the 1999 Ferrari feel better to drive. It has less wing than I'd probably use for Silverstone though.

ForthRight.

Old 04-11-2003, 00:29   #97
operato
Registered

Quote:
No I haven't done that... I'd be surprised if it worked very well as Canada usually requires a different type of setup to most other tracks, but at the same time the setup did make the 1999 Ferrari feel better to drive. It has less wing than I'd probably use for Silverstone though.

ForthRight.
No, I meant driving your 2002 silverstone setup in 1999. Added some wing...
Also could you take a look at my 1.20.176 2002 Ferrari Lap. I still can't figure out exactly what i'm doing wrong compared to your lap. You launch out of vale like the space shuttle. It seems like i'm losing all my time there as well.

http://members.rogers.com/ukf1/2002_...b_1.20.176.lap

Do I need to trailbrake or something?
And my 1999 Silverstone
http://members.rogers.com/ukf1/1999_...b_1.23.436.lap

Last edited by operato; 04-11-2003 at 02:30.
Old 04-11-2003, 16:00   #98
ForthRight
Registered

Okay, at the moment I am only looking at the 2002 telemetry because I need to concentrate on 2002 for the league settings next season.

I must say I was quite surprised at how difficult Silverstone can be - I haven't driven there for months. I recently tried Spain again (after months of not driving on the circuit) and it only took me about 10 or 15 laps to get upto speed, but with Silverstone it is a lot harder to find the time (you really have to push very hard).

Looking at your telemetry it seems you simply aren't carrying enough speed into the slower corners or chicanes and as a result you also have less speed on the exit of most of the turns.
Your first sector is only 2 tenths slower than me so I would forget about that, you are obviously getting the most out of the setup in that section although I did notice that you shifted down to 3rd gear for a short time at Chapel - 4th is the lowest gear I use in that section.

You are shifting down to 1st gear for Vale, Brooklands and Luffield? There are no first gear turns at Silverstone and although I rarely use those circuit guides they also confirm this with 2nd gear been used for those three turns. So you should stop using 1st gear straight away. I know sometimes in 2nd you feel like you are going too slow for that gear (because there aren't many revs) but it will still be faster and more stable than using 1st.

You complained about understeer in the past which is probably why you aren't carrying enough speed into the corners - you might be worried about understeering off the track? I will have a look at the setup tonight (2002) and see if I can make adjustments to suit your turn-in style.

ForthRight.

Old 04-11-2003, 22:32   #99
ForthRight
Registered

I made this 2002 Silverstone setup for you. It is a bit easier to spin now so you have to be more careful with the throttle but it also has better turn-in through the first sector. It has a bit more speed as well, hopefully with this setup and the info above you will improve your best lap time.

I attach the setup and a replay of 1.17.7 that I did with it (telemetry available).

ForthRight.

Old 05-11-2003, 02:04   #100
operato
Registered

Quote:
I made this 2002 Silverstone setup for you. It is a bit easier to spin now so you have to be more careful with the throttle but it also has better turn-in through the first sector. It has a bit more speed as well, hopefully with this setup and the info above you will improve your best lap time.

I attach the setup and a replay of 1.17.7 that I did with it (telemetry available).

ForthRight.
Thanks! I'll try it out. My F1C dir is full of CJC setups now heheh

In other news, I busted out a 1.23.011 was going for a 1.22.6 then spun out

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: