Race Sim Central Forums
[user menu: quizzes_calendar_member index_member awards_staff index_faq_contact rsc_search_forum mainpage]

[important: forum rules] [updated: 30-march-2003] [login problems: check cookies] [not logged in: login_register]
Race Sim Central Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 RC3 Race Sim Central Forums > PC Racing Simulation Discussions > Grand Prix Legends > Is no one interested in making the ledgendary Suzuka Track? Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
redmist
Silver Member

[ip: logged]

Is no one interested in making the ledgendary Suzuka Track?

I've not heard any news on this front and I was wondering if anyone was still making this gem? I find it hard to believe that, with all the information available on this great track, and with all the other tracks that are coming out, that this one has been overlooked. A hands down favorite of the current F1 drivers of today, this is a classic track built in 1962 by the Dutch designer that did Zandy, Zolder, Jarama, and Assen (3 more tracks that need the GPL treatment) and would be a fantastic driving experience in GPL.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
redmist

Last edited by redmist on 06-03-2002 at 05:50

[go: top_bottom_report post to staff]

Old Post 05-03-2002 16:26
redmist is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redmist Click here to Send redmist a Private Message Find more posts by redmist Add redmist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martijn

GPLEA Member
Awarded to those who take a bit longer getting the track jus

Sure... maybe i have a few hours off tonight and ill make a real nice version.

Old Post 05-03-2002 17:00
Martijn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martijn Click here to Send Martijn a Private Message Find more posts by Martijn Add Martijn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Bloom
Administrator
Let's Be Friends

I have never warmed to Suzuka in any other sims. Along with Magny Cours, it has been my boggie circuit in GP2/3 and F1 2000 CS.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Chris

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

Last edited by Chris Bloom on 05-03-2002 at 17:07

Old Post 05-03-2002 17:03
South Africa Chris Bloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Bloom Click here to Send Chris Bloom a Private Message Visit Chris Bloom's homepage! Find more posts by Chris Bloom Add Chris Bloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jamnut
Platinum Member
Jim Clark Fan

Chris,

You made a post on the GPL forum!!! I'm amazed..

I thought your home was that goofy off topic forum..

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Jam

GPL for life. When i'm sliding, i'm smiling..

Old Post 05-03-2002 17:14
United States Jamnut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jamnut Click here to Send Jamnut a Private Message Find more posts by Jamnut Add Jamnut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill Guillaume
Silver Member
Thats my Dad Herman

Boggie circuit

I like that chris.
my grandpa told me about the boggie man that will come and get me...now I have to worry about the boggie track too!!!!

ooo, your wanted in the other forum too

good suggestion Redmist

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Bill Guillaume
WFO Racing

Last edited by Bill Guillaume on 05-03-2002 at 17:48

Old Post 05-03-2002 17:45
United States Bill Guillaume is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill Guillaume Click here to Send Bill Guillaume a Private Message Visit Bill Guillaume's homepage! Find more posts by Bill Guillaume Add Bill Guillaume to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Bloom
Administrator
Let's Be Friends

Quote:
Posted by Bill Guillaume
Boggie circuit

I like that chris.
my grandpa told me about the boggie man that will come and get me...now I have to worry about the boggie track too!!!!

ooo, your wanted in the other forum too

OH NO! THE OTHER FORUM!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Chris

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

Old Post 05-03-2002 18:56
South Africa Chris Bloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Bloom Click here to Send Chris Bloom a Private Message Visit Chris Bloom's homepage! Find more posts by Chris Bloom Add Chris Bloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Bloom
Administrator
Let's Be Friends

Quote:
Posted by Jamnut
Chris,

Yeah, i'm also amazed that I have the intelligence to be able to post off-topic posts in the off-topic forum!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Chris

Last edited by Chris Bloom on 05-03-2002 at 19:14

Old Post 05-03-2002 19:05
Kevin Gavitt
Silver Member

Quote:
Posted by Martijn
Sure... maybe i have a few hours off tonight and ill make a real nice version.

Cool, looking forward to seeing it tomorrow then. Make sure to provide both a "classic" and a modern version. VG has got the 16 bit "updates" ready, so you're behind schedule already

KFG

Old Post 05-03-2002 19:14
United States Kevin Gavitt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin Gavitt Click here to Send Kevin Gavitt a Private Message Find more posts by Kevin Gavitt Add Kevin Gavitt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Bloom
Administrator
Let's Be Friends

Quote:
Posted by Kevin Gavitt

Cool, looking forward to seeing it tomorrow then. Make sure to provide both a "classic" and a modern version. VG has got the 16 bit "updates" ready, so you're behind schedule already

KFG

And if there isn't a 'Lite' version available at least 36 hours before the official release in less than 24 hours from now I promise I will start a flame war!!!!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Chris

Old Post 05-03-2002 19:24
Piett
Newbie Member
Imperial Fleet Captain

I think Dave Noonan was working on Suzuka until the stopped the project after some site (French pits???) released one of his beta versions of the track.

Old Post 05-03-2002 19:36
Piett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Piett Find more posts by Piett Add Piett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Smith

Red,

Despite the track mavens' protestations to the contrary, I'm not convinced anybody can actually do figure-8 (well, over 'n' under) tracks. The GPL community would love to have a proper Monza (altho the Milano cheat is a fabulous workaround), and I, personally, would welcome Paramount Ranch (a pretzelated, Brands Hatch-like SoCal circuit of the 1950s, nestled in the hills north of Hollywood where Paramount shot a lot of Westerns).

I agree, though: Suzuka, particularly without the emasculating chicane at the head of the pit straight, is/was one of the world's great tracks, certainly in the same league as Spa or Hugenholtz's Zandvoort.

[P.S. If you want to sample a kinda-sorta Zolder, Wild South Raceway is a reasonable facsimile.]

I don't know abt. the rest of you, but I'm still marking time whilst Andrew finishes Reims. And crossing my fingers for Montjuich, Clermont, Montreal, Donnington, Surfer's, V.I.R., Aintree, Laguna67, Pau, and Bridgehampton.

Poll: which tracks would you give up to get the tracks you want?

--Beelzebub

Old Post 05-03-2002 19:39
Steve Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Smith Click here to Send Steve Smith a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Smith Add Steve Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redmist
Silver Member

Martijn- finish off that pesky Clermont and start on Suzuka already! Another track that has a crossover would be great! make it without that chicane at the end too, that's the only change from the original design.

Hey SS, are you saying that it's impossible to make a track with the crossover? I think there is one other track that has a crossover- it's a Fantasy track called Thunderjet, I'm not sure if the creator's has a "clever" solution to create that crossover.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
redmist

Last edited by redmist on 06-03-2002 at 05:52

Old Post 05-03-2002 19:42
redmist is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redmist Click here to Send redmist a Private Message Find more posts by redmist Add redmist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jack57

Quote:
Posted by Steve Smith
Despite the track mavens' protestations to the contrary, I'm not convinced anybody can actually do figure-8 (well, over 'n' under) tracks.

Thunder Jet Raceway achieved this. Dunno how though.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Chac Mool is watching.. . . .

Old Post 05-03-2002 20:08
Jack57 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack57 Click here to Send Jack57 a Private Message Find more posts by Jack57 Add Jack57 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
norbs
of moderators.

Forum VIP

Quote:
Posted by Jamnut
Chris,

I thought it was the Babe Thread!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

A.R.S.E. #029
ARSE Website

Old Post 05-03-2002 21:50
Australia norbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for norbs Click here to Send norbs a Private Message Visit norbs's homepage! Find more posts by norbs Add norbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martijn

GPLEA Member

figure eight is really no problem at all. Just let the track twist on itself. Nothing to stop you doing that at all.

Unless you mean a level crossing, thats gonne be a little harder.....

And if i'd make it, id make it with a shortcuttable chicane so it would be up to the server with the track.ini to determine whether you get a penalty for shortcutting or a penatly for driving the chicane

Old Post 05-03-2002 22:36
Martijn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martijn Click here to Send Martijn a Private Message Find more posts by Martijn Add Martijn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bazzer
Gold Member

For being a thoroughly helpful bloke !

Quote:
Posted by Martijn

Unless you mean a level crossing, thats gonne be a little harder.....

Do you mean from the graphics point of view or other considerations?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
<---It's only a model!

Old Post 05-03-2002 22:47
England Bazzer is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Bazzer Click here to Send Bazzer a Private Message Find more posts by Bazzer Add Bazzer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martijn

GPLEA Member

Graphics wont be a problem if you choose your view distances large enough, but the actual collision wont be there i guess. Untested tho, i might be wrong.

Old Post 05-03-2002 23:21
D_River
Silver Member

There Could be a bleedtrough problem with the graphical side
Other tracksections(far away) bleeding trough 3do?s & tracksections.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
/ Anders V?h?kuopus (Cloetta KexChoklad 7 in NASS, 173 in SNRL, RIW & FTTS)

Go Gordon Go!!! "Jeff Gordon"

Old Post 05-03-2002 23:34
Sweden D_River is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D_River Click here to Send D_River a Private Message Find more posts by D_River Add D_River to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Hale

Suzuka legendary? In the same league as Spa and Zandvoort? What ever is being smoked in here I need a puff...

Old Post 06-03-2002 03:35
United States Mark Hale is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Hale Click here to Send Mark Hale a Private Message Find more posts by Mark Hale Add Mark Hale to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redmist
Silver Member

A track designer (Hugenholtz) with pedigree: [ Zandvoort, Zolder, Zeltweg (The Osterreichring), Jarama, and Assen] and funded by arguably the biggest automobile/motorcycle company in Japan, Suzuka was created in 1962 to test HRC's racing motorcycles. It has held the most important single race in the motorcycle year, The Suzuka 8 Hours, where the top GP500 racers take off from GP500 and do this Endurance race regularly since 1978. Imagine the F1 guys taking a break and doing LeMans during the middle of the season! Since the 80's, it has hosted the F1 GP 18 times. During that, because of it's proximity to the end of the season, it played host to pivotal races of their respective seasons, ie: Senna/ Prost 1st corner muck-up. But above all, only one corner has changed in 40 years, something most all of today's F1 tracks cannot say. It has been for the last 10 years, the F1 drivers favorite racetrack.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
redmist

Last edited by redmist on 06-03-2002 at 12:53

Old Post 06-03-2002 06:35
Mark Beckman
Silver Member

Quote:
Posted by Martijn
Graphics wont be a problem if you choose your view distances large enough, but the actual collision wont be there i guess. Untested tho, i might be wrong.

Your correct Martijn, there is no problem with crossovers at all.

I have had Daves Suzuka for a long time, it and Stava's Thunderjet poses no problem at all.

Done my own little betas too with crossovers, again no issues at all.

People seem to think its not possible because of the infamous "park your car on the Silverstone pedestrian bridge and see what happens when the AI come along" test, ehhh - wrong !

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Mark

Old Post 06-03-2002 07:27
Mark Beckman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Beckman Click here to Send Mark Beckman a Private Message Visit Mark Beckman's homepage! Find more posts by Mark Beckman Add Mark Beckman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martijn

GPLEA Member

yeah people seem to think more in X-Y then in Longitudonal-Lateral coordination system. Oh well, we arent all able to calculate the surface area of a 1x1 square using a polar coordination system .

I also did some checking on Dave Noonan's Suzuka last night and found out he used the section data (straights, curvatures, radii) of the GP2 version of Suzuka. I thought i was the only one doing thievery like that! I didnt check the altitude data tho; thats a little more complex to transit to GPL.

Another question comes to mind.. would anyone be even interested in "quick and dirty" tracks? I could make a Suzuka like that within a dozen hours or so, but i would never release that "officially" as it isnt up to the standards. But maybe people would still enjoy it and maybe even someone else would continue the work on that track (they would be free to do so; i would then include the GTK and other data in the track- making cheating easy obviously, so no league-race track anymore).

Its a hypothetical question but i am really interested to know whether people would encourage such releases or would call that pointless (after all there are enough tracks already, no need for more dozen-hour miracles).

Old Post 06-03-2002 09:00
Darren_Hosein
Darren Hosein

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Zolder isn't a track in need of GPL treatment. Isn't it already effectively released as Wild South Raceway?

Old Post 06-03-2002 11:32
Darren_Hosein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darren_Hosein Click here to Send Darren_Hosein a Private Message Visit Darren_Hosein's homepage! Find more posts by Darren_Hosein Add Darren_Hosein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D_River
Silver Member

hmmm. I thought People Wanted to see the Real Over/Underpass (for example Suzuka bridge, Monza straights etc...), then there could be a graphical problem.
Believe me I Know!

But If there ain?t any need to see the Real Over/Underpass, then there ain?t Any problems with the graphics.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
/ Anders V?h?kuopus (Cloetta KexChoklad 7 in NASS, 173 in SNRL, RIW & FTTS)

Go Gordon Go!!! "Jeff Gordon"

Last edited by D_River on 07-03-2002 at 16:24

Old Post 06-03-2002 12:04
Sweden D_River is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D_River Click here to Send D_River a Private Message Find more posts by D_River Add D_River to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kevin Gavitt
Silver Member

Some tracks I might be more interested in having a 'dozen hour' job than none at all, and hope the community would finish it up over time, and Suzuka might be just such a track.

On the whole though, no, especially since I know the quality of work you do I'd rather wait however long it takes and get the finished product.

There have been a number of 'dozen hour' fantasy tracks released of late and while each has been worthy of a few laps there are far less than a hand's worth of fingers of them worth even keeping on the HD to drive again later.

Keep workin on C-F and blow our socks off. Then if you'ld like to take a crack at a decent Suzuka noone would be more pleased than I.

KFG

Old Post 06-03-2002 16:35
United States Kevin Gavitt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin Gavitt Click here to Send Kevin Gavitt a Private Message Find more posts by Kevin Gavitt Add Kevin Gavitt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote