Go Back   Race Sim Central Forums > Other Simulations > 4x4 Off-Road Sims
Register FAQ Rules Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-03-2006, 05:29   #1
Tim Qwerty
Registered

Thumbs Up Screamer 4x4 unofficial patch

Hello, all Screamer 4x4 fans!

I really love this sim. How's about you? But I (as well as the others) was experiencing problems when running the game under Windows XP. So I decided to fix those problems once and forever.

My modifications to the game executables:
- There was something like anti-cheat stuff made by the programmers - the game was disabling all windows in the system (except itself) when running, and re-enabling them after exit. Try to guess what will be if the game will crash? =)
This is now fixed.
- OpenGL version is now running. The problem was due to incorrect OpenGL driver version check.

You must apply the official v1.2 patch before applying this patch!

If you still can't run Screamer 4x4 then you should try the logger version (it will create pathfind.log file).

Here are some other notes:
- You should first try the OpenGL version of the game. It is most compatible to different drivers and hardware.
- The Direct3D version crashes if 32 bit depth is selected.
- You can also run the Glide (3dfx) version using Glide wrapper (dgVoodoo is the best, I think).

Links (remove spaces):
Official v1.2 patch
www . download . com / Screamer-4x4-1-2-European-patch / 3000-7528_4-10236790 . html
My unofficial patch
rapidshare . de / files / 16368958 / screamer4x4_fix3 . 7z . html
or
www . megaupload . com / ? d = S46QMPI2
My unofficial patch (logger version)
rapidshare . de / files / 16368985 / screamer4x4_log . 7z . html
DEGE's dgVoodoo Glide wrapper
dege . freeweb . hu
7-Zip (for extracting .7z archives)
www . 7-zip . org

Tim,
from Russia.

Last edited by Tim Qwerty : 10-04-2006 at 11:11.
Tim Qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 04:37   #2
Hauq
Registered

Yay!

This is great, I've been looking for something to fix this sonce I got my new video card awile back. Only one thing: the unoficial patch I download comes out corrupted Can someone please fix this or email it to me?
Hauq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006, 21:58   #3
Tim Qwerty
Registered

Alternate download

Here's an alternate source:

rapidshare . de / files / 16368958 / screamer4x4_fix3 . 7z . html
and
rapidshare . de / files / 16368985 / screamer4x4_log . 7z . html

P.S. Remove spaces, of course.
Old 31-03-2006, 23:42   #4
Stargazer Woods
Registered

I reall ought to start subscribing to threads like this. I havn't checked in down these parts for a few weeks now and it's only because I clicked on the wrong link in my fav's folder that I even came close to seeing this...

And then there's the whole finding it on 1st April. We wont go there!

I havn't tried these out yet but once again there is a glimmer of hope. It is awesome that you are able to fix this amazing sim all these years after it supposidly died out.

You sir, are a genius!

Thank you so much for helpipng to bring Screamer back to me and to the rest of it's loyal fans.

To quote a long running Sci-Fi program that I like...

Live long and prosper,

Rob.

The GRC League ETCC World Tour running now & The GRC 6 Hours of Sebring happening soon. Sign up now to take part!
Stargazer Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:29   #5
Tim Qwerty
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer Woods
I reall ought to start subscribing to threads like this. I havn't checked in down these parts for a few weeks now and it's only because I clicked on the wrong link in my fav's folder that I even came close to seeing this...

And then there's the whole finding it on 1st April. We wont go there!

I havn't tried these out yet but once again there is a glimmer of hope. It is awesome that you are able to fix this amazing sim all these years after it supposidly died out.

You sir, are a genius!

Thank you so much for helpipng to bring Screamer back to me and to the rest of it's loyal fans.

To quote a long running Sci-Fi program that I like...

Live long and prosper,

Rob.
Thanks, Rob!

I hope it will help people to play this beautiful sim again.

To all:
By the way, feel free to post your feedback here.

I will never give up, you know!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:09   #6
mr_frigid
Registered

I had also a problem with running Screamer 4x4 under Win XP. This game was crashing and returning to windows. Problem was that this game (I think) doesn't support 32 bit resolutions. Now I play in 1600x1200x16bit and the game runs quickly. I had also problem with setting controlls. I couldn't set Acceleration and braking on same axis. This problem was solved (thanks goes to Tim Qwerty) with 1.2 patch. Now I finally can drive with analog steering. It is much more fun. Thx again Tim for this link
mr_frigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 15:53   #7
krisby
Registered

I hope its worth the effort, cos the rapidshare ain't working and the original link keeps timing out, so 462kb should take about a minute on my dialup, instead I am upto 350kb in about 25 minutes.

But if it does do everything it is supposed to it will be worth the wait. I had given up all hope and yet I still had not thrown out the game.
Old 09-04-2006, 00:47   #8
Tim Qwerty
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisby
the rapidshare ain't working
just tested. everything's working fine.

yeah, narod.ru has a 500 bytes/s speed limit.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:40   #9
Seggons

For people who have problems with Rapidshare:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S46QMPI2

Tim, the one located here:
http://timqwerty.narod.ru/screamer4x...mer4x4_fix3.7z
has cruppted btw
Old 12-04-2006, 18:01   #10
krisby
Registered

I got it, just took ages.

Anyway, great patch, S4x4 working Aok and I am working my way through yet again, patiently, with no cheats, gets a little repetitive but still fun.

Can't wait to get the big hilux again.
Old 13-04-2006, 09:40   #11
JuanManuel
Registered

i can´t believe this post!

i´ve re-installed screamer 4x4 15 minutes ago, and now i was searching for the official patch, thinking about the video config that i used to have with my old machine (xp 1800 and radeon 7500)...was d3d? was opengl?, and now i read this...outstanding!!

some trophys were really difficult, this would be very fun!

hope someone can update some textures or new models. this game is awesome and deserve more attention. the physics are very well.

thank you Tim.

Update: works perfect! the opengl mode is best IMO, it has some nice fog effects, and works at 32 bits. little advice: I had two joystics (ms sidewinder wheel, and a generic gamepad), and it seems that the gamepad had troubles of centering, so i disconnect it, and everything works ok, and now with 3 axis!

Last edited by JuanManuel : 13-04-2006 at 14:03.
JuanManuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 12:06   #12
FantasyFlight
Registered

Tim, you are THE BEST!!!

I was thinking about asking about the Screamer 4x4 problems I was having (since upgrading my computer to a ASRock 939 Dual Sata 2 MB/AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU/ATI Radeon X800 Pro), and just hadn't gotten around to it. I just figured it was a sim that was lost with the upgrade, and that nothing could be done about it.

Thank you so so so so much!!! I'm gonna try the patches out now.

Aly
FantasyFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 12:28   #13
Alexease
Registered

Alexease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 04:18   #14
Stargazer Woods
Registered

Ooo-Kay... I'm not really the type of person to cast a "downer". I'm actually Mr-Positive most of the time (If you knew me in person you would appreciate the irony in that opening sentence).

But I get the exact same results with the new Exe's as I do with the old ones. Which means that I'm either experiencing a different problem from the rest of you or you guys are running very different hardware.

All those who have Scremer 4x4 working with no abnormal behaviour... What Graphics Cards do you have and which drivers running it?

I can;t remember my driver version of the top of my head, I'll check once I'm home and/or people reply to this message but my card is the NVidia GeForce FX5700.

I had been running in WinXP with no problems. I only got these problems when I upgraded to the FX5700 from my old Ti4200.

With the new D3D exe I get the same flickering/missing textures on the landscape.

With the OPenGL exe It gives me the intro video and then hangs.

With the Glide exe I get a message saying it cant find a file required to run.

Please reply to this thread. If you guys are running better gfx cards than me (which isn't tough this day and age) and have Screamer working properly then I need to know how it's done.

Cheers,

Rob.

The GRC League ETCC World Tour running now & The GRC 6 Hours of Sebring happening soon. Sign up now to take part!
Stargazer Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 10:53   #15
Tim Qwerty
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer Woods
With the Glide exe I get a message saying it cant find a file required to run.
Okay... I'll try to explain... I wrote:

- You can also run the Glide (3dfx) version using Glide wrapper (dgVoodoo is the best, I think).

This means, that you must have dgVoodoo wrapper installed in the same folder where Screamer executables are. Go ahead, download it and try.

I also wrote:

If you still can't run Screamer 4x4 then you should try the logger version (it will create pathfind.log file).

This means, that you must download those logger executables to create a log file. Maybe this will help you/me to figure out why does the OpenGL version hangs.

About NVIDIA display adapters.
I was using NVIDIAs for the last 5 years. And I never experienced any problems like flickering textures or flashing polygons. So it's difficult for me to understand why does it happen. Try to update the drivers... And if you are using the 64-bit version of Windows XP - this is commonly the source of all the problems.

So, try to use dgVoodoo, and post the log file from the OpenGL version.
Old 18-04-2006, 14:40   #16
JuanManuel
Registered

Im using a radeon 9550, with 128 mb ddr, agp 8x, win xp sp2, catalyst 6.1 and opengl. runs without problem.

is possible to edit the internal values of the exe to change the sensitivity of the steering wheel in the game?? the setting is at the lowest in the control panel config, but in screamer is to "touchy". And talking about edit things, would be nice to change the position of the internal camera. (i know, im asking too much...lol).

Cheers,

pd. thank you again Tim, im having a lot of fun with Screamer.
JuanManuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 00:37   #17
Small_Fryz
Registered

Thanks alot for the patch!!, works fine in openGL and i have a 7800GTX graphics.

Wonderful!!
Small_Fryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 16:05   #18
Tommy Jason
Registered

Grinning Found solution for Nvidia FX5700!!!Screamer 4x4

Wooohoooo....i knew i had played that game before...just install the nvidia driver version 66.93 win2k/XP

THATS ALL!!!! THIS IS AN AWESOME REALISTIC GAME; Ressurected..lol

Had the same problem as you...now works fine with openGL...HAHAHA
Add me to msn...ill be glad to help any of you...

Tommy Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:39   #19
<=Pioneer=>
Registered

I hawe same problem in DEMO with OpenGL and Glide!!! i cant get run that game! help please! i really love that game! i hawe nVIDIA GeFORCE 6200 128Mb!!!

Old 25-12-2006, 10:46   #20
Banshee
Registered

Pioneer, this is how it worked for me, in first place install the patch 1.2, extract the "patch.dat" to the directory of the game before run the exe.
than download the Tim Qwerty fix from the megaupload link you can see above, copy the files to the directory of the game.
When you launch the game select Open Gl
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 10:50   #21
Banshee
Registered

Happy

Tim Qwerty... Thnxs very very much, i love this game since 2001 when i first played it, than i forgot it for a will and recently i didnt now how to run it in my recently pc.
Im back to Screamer
Old 25-12-2006, 10:51   #22
Banshee
Registered

Happy

Tim Qwerty... Thnxs very very much, i love this game since 2001 when i first played it, than i forgot it for a will and recently i didnt now how to run it in my recently pc.
Im back to Screamer

PS - Ups!.. sry for the double post

Last edited by Banshee : 25-12-2006 at 10:55.
Old 01-01-2007, 22:00   #23
J23
Registered

hello i was having an issue with my screamer 4x4... anyway i have it and am unable to install any patches. i get a message saying "scream 4x4 not found or registry not correct" im guesing thats becasue i just copied it over to a fresh format without a re-install... wich i am unable to do as i do not have the cd. any help would be much appriciated. BTW while using version v1.0 i get horrible graphic corruption.

System specs in case it helps
BFG 7800GTX OC
A64 4000+@ 2.7Ghz
Asus A8n SLi-Deluxe
2x 1gb sticks of Corsair XMS
Audigy 2 Value
Seagate BArracuda 120Gb Sata150
XP Sp1
J23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:26   #24
neu
Registered

Congratulations!

Hey Tim,

Congratulations! I'm one of the key developers of this game, and I was really said that I was not able to run it for a long time! You made a really good service with this, and I thank you so much making me able to play this again, and bring up good memories!

Greetings, Zoltan "neu" Pocza
neu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 20:08   #25
inmate
Registered

Hi. Thanks for the patch. Works Fine for Me adn without upgrading to the 1.2. Im still on the 1.0 patch. For my friends, It didnt work, . He gto the Exact Same Folder as me. Cause me too i dont have the Cd, I have did a Bad backup of the installed Game in 2002 when i knew nothing about PC. But for Now, Me its working Fine.

GeForce 7800 GTX
Asus A8N-E
2 Gb Of Kingston
Amd X2 4200(OC-ed to 5500+)
Sp2.

For my friend, Its a frustrating Bug. The game Start, All work, But when the time come to Load a single or multi "map", The game crashes.

His Spec.

Amd Athlon 64 3000+
Epox Ep9nda3j
1 Gb OCZ
Ati Radeon X700 Pro VIVO
Sp2

Why it dont work, i dotn know, But he got the Exact Folder than Me.

Please Help, This is the only Good Game for Rock Climbing on this planet.

Thanks
inmate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: