RSC Forums  

Go Back   RSC Forums > Racing Sims > Touring & Sports Cars > rFactor

Welcome back!
If you're experiencing problems with logging in, please use forum.racesimcentral.com not forum.racesimcentral.com.
The problem will be fixed as soon as possible!

rFactor Discuss rFactor, king of community content and still expanding

Old 02-11-2006, 04:48   #1
DarrenM
Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpeR
I have "look back" mapped to a wheel button. Gives a good view to look at who/what is coming down the s/f straight when rejoining after a pitstop.
If you have look left and right mapped, pressing both at the same time looks back.

For fuel I find the default behavior preferable. If I have 10 laps left and I need 2 litres/lap I can just set it to 20 without having to cycle through the lcd to find out how much fuel I've got, then figure out how much I'll have left when I get around to the pit bay, then subtract that from what I need. I prefer to do as little thinking as possible when driving

Last edited by DarrenM; 02-11-2006 at 04:57.
DarrenM is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:12   #2
doubleu
Registered

good stuff, thank you for the tips!
doubleu is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:02   #3
HRTGriff
Registered

Speaking of tweaks, does anyone know how to create a windows shortcut to load the game with a specific mod/rfm loaded?
HRTGriff is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:03   #4
mclaren777
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTGriff
Speaking of tweaks, does anyone know how to create a windows shortcut to load the game with a specific mod/rfm loaded?
Enjoy!
mclaren777 is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 22:07   #5
HRTGriff
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren777
Thanks .
HRTGriff is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:56   #6
farbertwo
Registered

rfactor central has a mod loader, I think it's at 1.5 version now, seems to work ok for me.
farbertwo is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:01   #7
Dutchie
Registered

for SLI and/or LCD users...

SLI with VSYNC under AFR/AFR2 or the now nvidia profile does not show the GPU load balancing, possibly promting you to think SLI isnt active, but SLI is definately working with VSYNC there, and i highly recommend it over running the game at 300+fps - profiding you got the pc power to sustain a 60pfs with VSYNC ofcourse (which might still depend on the track and/or mod on maximum details like shadows etc)
Dutchie is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 16:55   #8
John Crim
Registered

I was having a problem with a very choppy screen at times, I guessing due to low fps. I don't know how to check my fps, so if someone would enlighten me, I thank you.

But I did find a tweak that seems to have helped considerably. First, let me say, I have an older pc with only a 64meg video card. So some (or probably most) won't need this tweak. Anyway, I found if you go into the rFactor Configuration file, open it with Note Pad, look for:

MinimumVidRes=(800, 600)
MaximumVidRes=(8000, 6000)

Change the second setting to the maximum setting used for your monitor, such as:

MinimumVidRes=(800, 600)
MaximumVidRes=(1024, 768)

My theory is that if the Max is set higher than your monitor is set, or can handle, the game tries to go higher, thus causing it to use too much system resources. I've adjusted mine as you see above, and it seems to have eliminated the "choppy screen" syndrome.
John Crim is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 17:03   #9
ecienavxela
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Crim
I was having a problem with a very choppy screen at times, I guessing due to low fps. I don't know how to check my fps, so if someone would enlighten me, I thank you.
Have you tried FRAPS??
ecienavxela is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 17:05   #10
Pain-less
Registered

Press ctrl+f to see your frame rate
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
Old 16-11-2006, 08:05   #11
Shamrock627
Registered

In each .rfm file, there is a line for credits that looks like this:

BaseCreditMult = 1.0 // base which is multiplied by all the other multipliers
LapMoneyMult = 1.0 // laps completed (based roughly on expected lap times)
LapExpMult = 1.0

you can multiply them so you can earn more money & experience, but still race to get it. I enjoy having to race my way to get upgrades and stuff.
Shamrock627 is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 08:48   #12
DeadEyeski
Registered

Multiple Installs: Save HD space

I have a few installs of rFactor on my pc. I have one for tintops, one for open wheelers, stockcars, and for testing. Having every circuit installed into every rFactor install I have takes up enormous space. So I have found this very small tweak to allow you to have every track for each isntall, and only take up the space of one copy.
In my main install of rFactor, the tintops I have my locations folder full of circuits, 229 right now.
This directory for my install is:

C:\Program Files\rFactor2\GameData\Locations

In all my other rFactor installs, my locations folder is completely empty. In fact, by using this tweak, these lcoations folder will not be looked into when the game searches for your tracks.

In your additional rFactor installs, look for a file named
CONFIG.INI
This file can be opened with notepad or any other text program. In this file search for a line that says :

TracksDir=GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\

I haved edited this one line to say:

TracksDir=C:\PROGRAM FILES\RFACTOR2\GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\

Simply just directing the game to look for all my tracks in that folder. Your rFactor might be installed in other folders so don't use my line, but just make sure you get your location correct. Simply save and exit. You have now saved yourself a ton of HD space, in my case 5.75 GB of wasted HD space.

By the way, the reason I have multiple installs is because i find it takes much less time to laod the game with less mods. So l like to spread my mods out a bit.
Hope this helps all of you. Just rememebr to backup your originals, and point to the correct directory.
See you on the track!
DeadEyeski is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 09:08   #13
Mr Man
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeski
I have a few installs of rFactor on my pc. I have one for tintops, one for open wheelers, stockcars, and for testing. Having every circuit installed into every rFactor install I have takes up enormous space. So I have found this very small tweak to allow you to have every track for each isntall, and only take up the space of one copy.
In my main install of rFactor, the tintops I have my locations folder full of circuits, 229 right now.
This directory for my install is:

C:\Program Files\rFactor2\GameData\Locations

In all my other rFactor installs, my locations folder is completely empty. In fact, by using this tweak, these lcoations folder will not be looked into when the game searches for your tracks.

In your additional rFactor installs, look for a file named
CONFIG.INI
This file can be opened with notepad or any other text program. In this file search for a line that says :

TracksDir=GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\

I haved edited this one line to say:

TracksDir=C:\PROGRAM FILES\RFACTOR2\GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\

Simply just directing the game to look for all my tracks in that folder. Your rFactor might be installed in other folders so don't use my line, but just make sure you get your location correct. Simply save and exit. You have now saved yourself a ton of HD space, in my case 5.75 GB of wasted HD space.

By the way, the reason I have multiple installs is because i find it takes much less time to laod the game with less mods. So l like to spread my mods out a bit.
Hope this helps all of you. Just rememebr to backup your originals, and point to the correct directory.
See you on the track!
Nice 1! Thanks!

Mr Man is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 09:20   #14
Chris G
Registered

I had some stuttering problems until this:

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=273798

worked like a charm!

#27 Orion Race Team
www.orionraceteam.com
Chris G is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 10:45   #15
Stargazer Woods
Registered

I've not done anything outstanding for tweaks so I'll take an alternative route and post with my worst tweak ever...

Purely for educational purposes and to prevent other people from making the same mistake.

In the plr file, is a whole load of options for various graphical tweaks and I found one that said something along the lines of "Allow smoke to flow over player vehicle" (at work so can;t check exact wording right now) and another one for "Allow smoke to flow over other vehicles"

I sqw this and thought 'well that could look good' so I enabled it. unfortunately, what I saw was most perculiar.

When my car generated tyre-smoke when powersliding around a corner, The smoke from the front wheels hoppped over the car and then settled back to normal.

Then an AI car comes along and drives through the smoke cloud I just generated and the smoke climbs over the car and then falls back to the ground again.

the default smoke behaviour (or lack there-of) looks far better than the interactive version.

Rob.
Old 23-11-2006, 19:17   #16
lordv8dr
Registered

skip load up screens

in your rfactor root directory there should be a folder named MovieFiles. Rename the .bik files. For example, F1CTDP05.bik to F1CTDP05.bikold. rfactor should load up faster by skipping the load up screens depending on which ones you've renamed.
lordv8dr is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 03:37   #17
F1Alive
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordv8dr
in your rfactor root directory there should be a folder named MovieFiles. Rename the .bik files. For example, F1CTDP05.bik to F1CTDP05.bikold. rfactor should load up faster by skipping the load up screens depending on which ones you've renamed.
And miss out on those wonderful movies the cool modders made? No thanks lol Besides you can always press escape..
F1Alive is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 09:27   #18
HoloGram
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBalls
Good idea this thread, i'll add a cpl.

In your.plr file:

Cockpit Vibration Mult1="0.00000"
Cockpit Vibration Mult2="0.00000"

I use zero for both stops the shaking in cockpit, im shaking enough dont need any more.
This gave a a 50% fps boost on my med level system !!!

Orville Wright
HoloGram is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 12:46   #19
TriplePlay
Registered

make a rfactor shocut on the desktop. then right click and go to properties. in the target line it should look something like this C:\Program files\Rfactor\Rfactor.exe

Type this to get Multicore processing to work in rfactor
C:\Program files\Rfactor\Rfactor.exe +fullproc
TriplePlay is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 14:15   #20
Lunsmann
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriplePlay View Post
make a rfactor shocut on the desktop. then right click and go to properties. in the target line it should look something like this C:\Program files\Rfactor\Rfactor.exe

Type this to get Multicore processing to work in rfactor
C:\Program files\Rfactor\Rfactor.exe +fullproc
does this work? must give it a shot and see how much of the 2 processors are used - hmmmmmmm interesting.
Old 27-12-2007, 14:33   #21
Lunsmann
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunsmann View Post
does this work? must give it a shot and see how much of the 2 processors are used - hmmmmmmm interesting.
stupid rsc wouldn't let me edit my post - just sat there on hourglass for 5 minutes.

any way - holy crap it does work - without this /switch cpu0 was maxed out and cpu1 was idle. with the /switch cpu1 was 75% and cpu1 was 55% to 65%, but get this my ffb wheel felt just a little more alive (dreaming or does the added cpu capacity just improve the game)

is it possible it gave my game more ffs (amd x2-4600 & 8600GTS 256mb and 1gb ram).
Old 27-12-2007, 18:07   #22
DocZ
Registered

It improves loading times a great deal, but doesn't seem to do a whole lot for fps rates. YMMV.
DocZ is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:29   #23
Calan
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
LODMultiplier=(1.000000) Boost this sucker up to 5, 50, or even 100 if you still have flickerings. People don't believe that a system can handle that much increase, but mine does for whatever reason. It's a pretty stout system (was last year LOL!), but this also greatly reduces flickerings. Obviously individual results will vary!
Changed this to 100 on the cockpit view for a stockcar mod. WOW!

Best change I've ever made by far. I've been running 10-12 cars at 16x, 4xAA, medium player detail, and low shadows (everything else mostly high or full)... I was getting decent frame rates but a lot of stuttering... not a pleasant ride.

After this one change, I now have everything maxed with medium shadows (and blur), have extended the rearview clip planes to see the entire track in the mirror (scn files), and am now running a full field of 42 AI cars with no stuttering at all... smooth as a baby's butt.

EXCELLENT tip!
Calan is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:55   #24
Hammer666
Registered

Map rear view to Wheel .......Why on earth would you want to press left/right to look back
thats silly ..............just one button will do.
I watched heap of series i never seen drivers looking left and right ever
( they use Peripheral View ) they dont turn their heads like Noddys

Map you fraps capture key to the wheel .......so you can screenshoot live if you that way inclined. ( have Fraps save as jpg to a temp folder )

Delete all the movie files and folders
Delete the music and add your own
Delete any mod and track readmes I been told by modders I MUST leave the readmes with the files? ........... lol ......get a life
Old 01-01-2008, 10:01   #25
Christopher Snow

Easy answer:

In your "Multiplayer.ini..."

...set the line this way: Allow Chat In Car="0" // whether to allow incoming chats to appear while in car.

Best tweak ever--keeps FPS up, keeps the stutter down, and you never...ever...need to worry about having to vote while you are driving.

You can actually concentrate.

[If you get to like this...you can even decide not to read chat when you are in the garage. You don't even have to do it there--click "lobby chat" (without first logging in)]

Ahhh. Peace...quiet...and concentration.

Christopher Snow (aka "chatless")
Christopher Snow is offline  Reply With Quote