RSC Forums  

Go Back   RSC Forums > Racing Sims > Touring & Sports Cars > Need for Speed series

Welcome back!
If you're experiencing problems with logging in, please use forum.racesimcentral.com not forum.racesimcentral.com.
The problem will be fixed as soon as possible!

Need for Speed series Discuss past PC installments of the Need For Speed series. Console installments found under "Console"

Old 16-09-2009, 17:11   #1
Fly666
Registered

Need for speed Shift, G25 deadzone problem

Hello, I'm trying to get need for speed shift working propperly.
I have a problem with the steering: It feels like a deadzone of about 200 degrees before the ingame wheel turns, I've been trying different in game settings for about 2 hours now. I don't have any problem in GTR evo.
Can anyone help me, please?

Last edited by Fly666; 16-09-2009 at 18:01.
Fly666 is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 17:18   #2
Mahjik
Registered

This was on another forum. The user has a G25 using 900 degrees:
Attached Thumbnails
nfs_shift_g25_config.jpg  
Old 16-09-2009, 17:38   #3
Com8no2
Registered

exact same problem here, G25 in 900deg mode (as i use it in all my sims) - Shift ingame has a huge deadzone in the steering

no matter what is set in the controller options (tried the pictures settings, did not help)

rFactor Nordschleife 2007
home @ http://www.virtualracing.org
Com8no2 is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 17:42   #4
howard motz
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly666 View Post
Hello, I'm trying to get need for speed shift working propperly.
I have a problem white the steering: It feels like a deadzone of about 200 degrees before the ingame wheel turns, I've been trying diffrent in game settings for about 2 hours now. I don't have any problem in GTR evo.
Can anyone help me, please?
I have a G25. I don't have any problems. Did you select (G25) in the controller Options? In the "Wingman" profiler, I set my degree of turn about 650, 100 over all effects, 20 on centering spring, O dampening. Works fantastic. Only thing I changed in the game Options was the amount of FF. 6-7 seems right to me. I have arthritis. Ha.
howard motz is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 17:44   #5
Fly666
Registered

Tried settings from picture: deadzone is smaller, but still way to big (about 45 degrees left from center, 45 degrees right from center) before there is any steering movement in game.
I also have a problem with setting steering sensitivity and acceleration sensitivity always being the same. If i change one of the 2, the other one follows. (in game setting: g25 white different pedals)

I think there is a problem with the option "turning lock": at 100% i have the biggest deadzone, at 30% the smallest (still to big) but it won't go lower than 30%.

Last edited by Fly666; 16-09-2009 at 18:01.
Old 16-09-2009, 18:00   #6
howard motz
Registered

Quote:
Tried settings from picture: deadzone is smaller, but still way to big (about 45 degrees left from center, 45 degrees right from center) before there is any steering movement in game.
I also have a problem white setting steering sensitivity and acceleration sensitivity always being the same. If i change one of the 2, the other one follows. (in game setting: g25 white different pedals)

I think there is a problem white the option "turning lock": at 100% i have the biggest deadzone, at 30% the smallest (still to big) but it won't go lower than 30%.
You might want to try a fresh install. Do you have the latest "wingman" drivers? I had them running when I installed. Every thing worked good immediately. Just doing a little tweaking for the perfect feel.
howard motz is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 18:03   #7
Niels_at_home
Registered

also, most likely, having axis sensitivities at 100% is very non linear, very sensitive. Steering would have to be 50% to be linear. Deadzones, well i hope they can be get rid off, but its not really meant to be played by simracers in 'sim' mode of course, you may ask for too much..
Niels_at_home is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 18:08   #8
Mahjik
Registered

Some other settings:

http://forum.racedepartment.com/need...-settings.html
Old 16-09-2009, 18:13   #9
Fly666
Registered

Removed VPP pedals, connected original G25 pedals
Fresh install, wingman(5.04) running during install.
Still big deadzone... :-(
I also found out, in the deadzone, there is no force feedback.
Old 16-09-2009, 21:07   #10
skazz
Registered

I'm running 5.01 here, selected G25 separate pedals profile, set my settings pretty much identical to the screenshot (they are logical really). No deadzone, decent FFB.

I was getting strange FFB when I turned off "vibration", so I turned it back on. Not sure what it does.
skazz is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 22:17   #11
Damien Smith
Registered

Is there a 'Steering Lock' setting anywhere in the game? If not, then 900degs probably won't be playable.
Damien Smith is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 22:23   #12
wims
Registered

You can tweak it in the car setup, but I'm not sure if its tweakable with all the cars, and if you need some upgrades to be able to tweak it
Old 16-09-2009, 23:37   #13
DanielVE
Registered

I have the same huge dead zone problem.
Im thinking maybe is something to do with the separeted pedals

Im using g25 and CST pedals.

One thing i noticed, is that the game dont appear to diferenciate controllers...
in GT evo, it sees my g25 as controler 1, and the cst pedals as 2.

In shift, its all controller 1 and the X axis of the wheel is X axis of the acelerator pedal, so the sensitivities and dead zones are the same on the setup, cant change them separate
DanielVE is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 23:53   #14
Fly666
Registered

IT'S WORKING!!! :-))) (but don't quit the game!!!)

After a couple of hours searching, i found a solution! But it isn't very logic to me.

I'm using Logitech G25 with VPP pedals. So i used preset 6 (G25 seperated pedals) This gives me big deadzone. swaped VPP pedals for Saitek pro flight rudder (for testing). Same problem.
Now changed preset to 5 (G25 combined pedals) and didn't change any setting, axis or button. (G25 pedals are destroyed to build a handbrake). YES. NO DEADZONE. But now my handbrake is the throttle and no brake or clutch (swapped pots with ressistors, so no movable axis) Now I started changing all axis and buttons -> Problem returned, big deadzone in steering. Reset all settings to default. Changed throttle axis only. test. OK Changed Brake axis. test. OK. Changed 2 buttons to axis and button(handbrake and nos). test. DEADZONE returns. Reset all settings. Changed 1 axis, test, ok, next axis, test, ok, and so on... Everything OK!!!

For testing purpose: reset settings to default, changed 2 axis, test, Deadzone returns...

So for me (and for 2 friends) the solution: Change 1 setting, go drive, change next setting, go drive, and so on... Deadzone doesn't return...

Setting deadzones is still a small problem as DanielVE said. If I set 2 controllers, the game may tell me the same axis (steering right=X+ and throttle= X+) I can't change deadzone or sensetivities seperated, but my steering is ok now.

I have quit the game to eat, restarted the game... Deadzone returned. Used the solution i just described. Everything ok, untill i quit game... So would have to do this every time you run the game... :-(

I hope this workaround for the problem will help others... (It will take a lot of time...)

Last edited by Fly666; 17-09-2009 at 00:08. Reason: Solution not working after restarting game
Old 17-09-2009, 00:37   #15
Markoj
Registered

Same problem here , big deadzone with G25 and CST pedals.
Markoj is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 00:50   #16
DanielVE
Registered

Quote:
IT'S WORKING!!! :-))) (but don't quit the game!!!)

After a couple of hours searching, i found a solution! But it isn't very logic to me.

I'm using Logitech G25 with VPP pedals. So i used preset 6 (G25 seperated pedals) This gives me big deadzone. swaped VPP pedals for Saitek pro flight rudder (for testing). Same problem.
Now changed preset to 5 (G25 combined pedals) and didn't change any setting, axis or button. (G25 pedals are destroyed to build a handbrake). YES. NO DEADZONE. But now my handbrake is the throttle and no brake or clutch (swapped pots with ressistors, so no movable axis) Now I started changing all axis and buttons -> Problem returned, big deadzone in steering. Reset all settings to default. Changed throttle axis only. test. OK Changed Brake axis. test. OK. Changed 2 buttons to axis and button(handbrake and nos). test. DEADZONE returns. Reset all settings. Changed 1 axis, test, ok, next axis, test, ok, and so on... Everything OK!!!

For testing purpose: reset settings to default, changed 2 axis, test, Deadzone returns...

So for me (and for 2 friends) the solution: Change 1 setting, go drive, change next setting, go drive, and so on... Deadzone doesn't return...

Setting deadzones is still a small problem as DanielVE said. If I set 2 controllers, the game may tell me the same axis (steering right=X+ and throttle= X+) I can't change deadzone or sensetivities seperated, but my steering is ok now.

I have quit the game to eat, restarted the game... Deadzone returned. Used the solution i just described. Everything ok, untill i quit game... So would have to do this every time you run the game... :-(

I hope this workaround for the problem will help others... (It will take a lot of time...)
Same here fly... it worked for me, but have to do this every time i start the game.. huge pain in the ***
Old 17-09-2009, 03:13   #17
pgrande
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVE View Post
Same here fly... it worked for me, but have to do this every time i start the game.. huge pain in the ***
Same *** problem, I want my money back!!!!!!!!!! I also use separate Pedals...

Tone down the language please
Q9550 @ 3.4, P5Q3 DELUXE Wi Fi/AP, ATI 4870 X2, SB XFi XtremeGamer FATALITY PRO, Simpro Racing Rig 5.1 Surround, TrackIR PRO, G25 modded, PSRP III pedal Set, Lighting SST V2 H Shifter, DELL 30" @ 2560x1600, 7" LCD ButtonBox

Last edited by Woodee; 19-09-2009 at 11:32.
pgrande is online now  Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 04:12   #18
DanielVE
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrande View Post
Same problem, I want my money back!!!!!!!!!! I also use separate Pedals...
The sad part is that i actually liked the game, but thats no way ill keep configuring everytime i start the game...
i hope the devs or some one figure a permanent fix

Last edited by Woodee; 19-09-2009 at 11:32.
Old 17-09-2009, 04:49   #19
pgrande
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVE View Post
The sad part is that i actually liked the game, but thats no way ill keep configuring everytime i start the game...
i hope the devs or some one figure a permanent fix
Looks like the problem is when you have multiple devices and axis... it doesn't recognize correctly the axis, in my case the clutch looks to be the same as the wheel, but the only problem is that it duplicates the sensibility and deadzone values but in game clutch works properly, just the wheel has a tremendous deadzone...
Q9550 @ 3.4, P5Q3 DELUXE Wi Fi/AP, ATI 4870 X2, SB XFi XtremeGamer FATALITY PRO, Simpro Racing Rig 5.1 Surround, TrackIR PRO, G25 modded, PSRP III pedal Set, Lighting SST V2 H Shifter, DELL 30" @ 2560x1600, 7" LCD ButtonBox
Old 17-09-2009, 07:06   #20
WhiteDog
Registered

Remember to use the preset available for G25.

If the menus screw up, then use this tool to calibrate your G25 and everything should work fine - http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm
There's a 32 and 64-bit version of the Clear Calibration Utility, to match your OS.

ps. If you use 900 degrees of steering from the profiler, then you need to amp up the sensitivity in-game. I use around 80-85 for the sensitivity and 90 for the speed sensitivity.
WhiteDog is offline  Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 14:30   #21
pgrande
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog View Post
Remember to use the preset available for G25.

If the menus screw up, then use this tool to calibrate your G25 and everything should work fine - http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm
There's a 32 and 64-bit version of the Clear Calibration Utility, to match your OS.

ps. If you use 900 degrees of steering from the profiler, then you need to amp up the sensitivity in-game. I use around 80-85 for the sensitivity and 90 for the speed sensitivity.
Many thanks, I have all the tools already of course, is not a calibration issue!! ist's a BUG!!! DXTweak2 is reporting a perfect calibration anyway...
Old 17-09-2009, 15:39   #22
Markoj
Registered

I solved my problem with mapping again steering axis in controls menu.
Then I had a problem with gas pedal , mapped it again , and it works.
Old 17-09-2009, 16:08   #23
pgrande
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoj View Post
I solved my problem with mapping again steering axis in controls menu.
Then I had a problem with gas pedal , mapped it again , and it works.
Does it work when you get out of the game and get in again, or you have to do all the process again???
Old 17-09-2009, 18:23   #24
wims
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog View Post
This will cause non linear steering. The proper way of doing this is to adjust the steering lock in the car tune screen ingame, not increasing sensitivity. There really is no such thing as sensitivity in racing games. It should be renamed linearity, as that is what you are adjusting. I was going to do a few illustrations so its easier to visualize what happens, unfortunately im so damn lazy so i havent gotten around to do it yet. Maybe tonight

Last edited by wims; 17-09-2009 at 19:34.
wims is online now  Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 20:53   #25
Markoj
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrande View Post
Does it work when you get out of the game and get in again, or you have to do all the process again???
No , you have to adjust it again