Race Sim Central Forums
Go Back   Race Sim Central Forums > Mixed Car Type Simulations > Racer Free Car Simulation
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read SUBMIT NEWS
Site Home Forum Home Arcade vBGarage Articles vBookie View Your Warnings Rules About Us Donate
Users Online: 381, Members: 171, Guests: 210.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 28-09-2002, 17:03     View Warnings    #1
Seamus
Super Moderator

vCash: 7500
The Unofficial Racer FAQ Thread

The official FAQ on the Racer site is here.

French version available here - thanks kokolekoko
German version available here - thanks racerfreak
This FAQ is also hosted at Racer Xtreme - thanks Pws

Note that neither this FAQ nor any of those listed above are guaranteed to be up to date.

1. What is Racer?
From the Racer homepage at www.Racer.nl:

Racer is a free car simulation project, using real car physics to get a realistic feeling. Cars, tracks, scenes and such can be created with relative simplicity in mind (compared to other driving simulations). The 3D and other file formats are, or should be, documented. Editors and support programs are also available to get a very flexible and expandable simulator. It uses OpenGL for rendering.

Racer is the work of Ruud van Gaal, a professional programmer who codes in his spare time. Be warned that this is not a finished, polished sim - the physics and graphics engines are still being added to and debugged with each new release, the AI get more intelligent over time, and multiplayer connectivity improves with each release. Many options and variables are stored in plain text .ini files - don't be scared to have a rummage and see what you can find!

2. What's it look like? Got any screenies?
Racer's car and track models are the work of the Racer community, based here at RaceSimCentral. Quality varies considerably, so check the screenies and make up your own mind how good things look.

Screenshots can be found in these threads:
Post Yer Screenies! (Part1)
Post Yer HQ Screenies! (Part1)
Post Yer Screenies! Part 2
Post Yer HQ Screenies (Part 2)

3. Quickstart Guide for the Computer Literate (Windows)
The latest stable version of Racer is v0.5 final Windows - Linux - Mac. Once installed, run config.exe to select graphics and controller options, and you're away.

Try the Racer homepage for info on Linux, Mac OS X and SGI Irix versions (Uwe's Linux FAQ is here, but is not necessarily up to date)

4. Beta program
Latest Windows beta is V.52 b8.6. You can find it here.
Be warned though, it has major compatibility isues with anything made for 5.0f due to a new shader engine that requires a new file for cars and tracks to work properly. For more information on the new shading engine go here

Latest Linux beta is .5.2 b7.7. Downloads and instructions in its Release Thread.

5a. Updating Racer v0.5f and v.5.2 betas
You'll probably want to download some new tracks and some better handling (and looking) cars. Racer Xtreme is a great place to start, with over 100 cars and a bunch of tracks. Also check the Cars - New Releases and Tracks - New Releases forums for the latest releases in case Racer Xtreme isn't updated yet. Installation is straightforward - Racer will automatically pick up on folders in the cars/ and tracks/ directories.
A quick guide to updating cars and tracks to v5.0f and v.5.2betas can be found here.

5b. Installing the v.5.2 beta 8.x (Windows)

1. Download the .5.2b8.5 package from the link in Ruud's first post. Extract this to any directory on your computer where you want the game installed.
2. Download the b8.6 update attached to his first post and extract Racer.exe from the package over-writing the existing one in the Racer directory.

For the best Racer experience, download some of Stecki's cars and cars on the Racer Xtreme Top List and then visit the Physics and Setups forum and Cars New Releases forum to make sure you have the latest updates of each car. Usually updates are done in the car's New Release thread for easy locating. Shader updates can be found in the Shaders and Paintjobs thread, which is where you should check immediately if a car looks strange in the new betas. Not all cars have been updated, so you may have to do it yourself. See the Tutorials sub-forum for some help on this.

Tracks also need updating, and you can find updates for a wide variety of tracks in the Tracks subforum and in the Tracks - New Releases subforum.

6. Why does <car name> handle so badly?
In each car folder there's a plain text "car.ini" file. This defines the handling and performance of the car - things like weight, gear ratios, suspension settings, tyre coefficients and so on. Changes to the Racer physics engine in successive beta releases mean that some cars no longer handle as originally intended, and you may have to do some tweaking in the .ini file to adjust performance to your liking!

7. I need more help!
The folk in Racer's irc channel - #racer on irc.enterthegame.com - will hopefully be able to answer most questions and problems that you might have. If you don't have an irc client installed, post on these forums.

"Quick answers" section

* Multiplayer
This is still very inperfect, but it works.
There are no permenant servers ( like Q3A, Unreal Tournament etc) and at present multiplayer ONLY works in a peer to peer fashion meaning that there can be only 2 players maximum (for .5 final and betas pre-.5.2 beta7.x). .5.2 beta7.x brought support for more players.
It's suggested that it works best on a lan only, but there are reports of people with broadband finding multiplayer perfectly playable.
Go to racers irc channel (irc.enterthegame.com #racer) to find other people wanting to race.

* Default controls
To choose your controller, run Racer/config.exe and select a preset file from the drop-down list. You can edit the preset files - they're in the Racer/ctrlset/ directory.

If you don't own a wheel/pedals or analogue joystick, then the mouse is the best way to control Racer. Buttons change gear, and S operates the starter motor.

If you really want to use the keyboard, then the default setup uses the cursor keys, plus A and Z for gear changing, and S for the starter motor.

As of .5.2 beta7, Racer has a working control setup menu within the program. Click Setup Controller and define controls in a similar way that you would other games.

* What other keys can I use? (applies to all controllers)
Cameras:
- Use 1,2,3....0 on the keyboard to change car cameras.
- The numpad moves cameras (rotate, zoom) in real time.
- "C" toggles between car cams, trackcams, and the helicam.

Replays:
- Hit F2 for replays, then "S" to save, or use the "eject" button.

Other functions:
- Use Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2 ... Ctrl-0 for the debug screen readouts.
- "P" for pause, handy for checking debug readouts.
- "W" (in car select screen and Racer's modeler.exe) toggles wireframe mode.
- Shift-R resets your car to the first grid position (the start).
- Shift-P resets your car to the first pit position.
- Shift-F resets your car to the last valid track position
- F12 takes a screenshot as a .tga and stores it in Racer/dump/ directory.
- F5 toggles driver aids (ABS, TCS) on/off (only in new betas)
- F6 toggles mini-map (only in .5.2 beta7.x+)
- Ctrl-F turns off the FPS readout in the top left.
- Ctrl-S saves the current gamestate.
- Ctrl-L loads the saved gamestate.
- Escape to return to menu.

A complete list of hard-coded commands is HERE

Common Graphics Problems

* Green and yellow debug dots
To turn these off, use WordPad to open up Racer/debug.ini, and find the line near the bottom that says "show_car_points=1". Change this to read "show_car_points=0" and save.

* Voodoo3 users
Turn off environment mapping (your card can't cope): use WordPad to open up Racer/gfx.ini, scroll down to the "envmap" section, find the line that says "enable=1" and change it to "enable=0". You may also find problems with textures larger than 256x256, in which case you will need to manually resize textures using a paint program.

*Car looks transparent in the newer (.5.2+) betas.
The car likely was made before these betas, and is lacking a car.shd (shader). Check the Shaders and Paintjobs thread, as someone may have posted a shader in there. Also, look in the car's New Releases thread and look for updates.

Other "Getting it to Run" Problems

* Racer won't run - once loading is complete it crashes or throws me back to the menu
Racer runs as a networked client/server even in singleplayer mode - if you have a firewall try turning it off, or at least give Racer full access. If this doesn't apply to you, try disabling sounds (use Wordpad to open up Racer/racer.ini, find the "audio" section, and set "enable=0").

*Driving with Mouse doesn't work in the newer (.5.2+) betas.
The cursor may be set to automatically hide itself in the bottom right corner of your screen. This will mean mouse users can't properly control their vehicles since the mouse will not move from this position. To fix this, open Racer.ini (in Racer directory) and scroll down to the "Graphics" section. Set "hide_cursor"=0 and the mouse will now be able to move.

What to do if you STILL can't get it to work

* Forum search
You might not have found the answers you need in this FAQ. Before posting a new thread, why not search the forums - this is the quickest way to get an answer.

Links

Official Racer homepage - www.Racer.nl

Addons:
- Racer Xtreme - cars, tracks, voting system
- CARTEL - betas and works in progress (seems dead, hasn't been updated since 2002)
- Hungarian sim world - cars & tracks

Modellers' homepages:
- Stecki, Sven, raro, Quiksilver, Buzzbomb, Ryan T, Tops/Pws, f50, Blo0m.

Tutorials:
- Ryan T - Zmodeler, Racer's material settings, splines tute
- Stecki - using Maya, Maya dof exporter, general car making tips
- Sillyseat - Blender tutorial and exporter
- Also make sure you check out the stickied threads in the cars/tutorials forums for any usefull tips

Car physics:
- Ruud's reference guide at Racer.nl

Updated by Sven F. on 17. january 2004.
Updated by f50 on 3. november 2004.
Updated by f50 on 14. march 2005.

Last edited by f50 : 14-03-2005 at 23:22. Reason: updated it again
Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2002, 17:05     View Warnings    #2
Seamus
Super Moderator

I know, it needs updating with RSC links not HG, I'll do it tomorrow

Last edited by Seamus : 28-09-2002 at 18:39.
Old 28-09-2002, 21:16     View Warnings    #3
Racerfreak
Registered

vCash: 250
Send a message via ICQ to Racerfreak
German Translation link changed

Hi,

the link of my german translation changed to:

http://racer.thewiggle.org/board/in...?act=ST&f=1&t=3

because RaCerZ moved his German Racer Forum and the thread is in there.

Racerfreak
Racerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 21:24     View Warnings    #4
Pws
Registered

I just update Racer FAQ on Racer-Xtreme. so you can add a comment to every FAQ entry. So we will update the FAQ with your feedback
Pws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2002, 14:23     View Warnings    #5
Gazork0
Registered

vCash: 3500
Send a message via MSN to Gazork0
pcspecs
Question about selecting a wheel:

What do I do if my wheel's name isn't there? I have a Logitech Wingman Formula GP (yellow, no FF)
Gazork0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2003, 15:36     View Warnings    #6
CoolDude
Registered

pcspecs
try using a similar wheel setup. If that fails as well, try to engineer your own. If it works with minor tweaks, put a new config file together and send it to Ruud

cya
Old 15-01-2003, 00:12     View Warnings    #7
Giga Byterelli
Registered

Wingman Yellow USB (no FF, split axis)

Quote:
Originally posted by Gazork0
Question about selecting a wheel:

What do I do if my wheel's name isn't there? I have a Logitech Wingman Formula GP (yellow, no FF)

I have the same wheel/pedal set-up. If I figure out how to create my own config. for it, I'll post it or find some way to get it to Ruud.

Giga

EDIT: I also tried http://racer.m4driving.sm/beta/rr050b7.exe I found in another thread.....this link does NOT work either

Last edited by Giga Byterelli : 15-01-2003 at 00:43.
Giga Byterelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 17:22     View Warnings    #8
Pws
Registered

Screenshot are no longer working....

Can someone send them to me: pws (at) racer-xtreme (dot) com ?

So I can host them on Racer-Xtreme.
Old 12-03-2003, 18:31     View Warnings    #9
Seamus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pws
Screenshot are no longer working....

Can someone send them to me: pws (at) racer-xtreme (dot) com ?

So I can host them on Racer-Xtreme.

m4driving deleted my webspace so I don't have them any more.
Old 13-03-2003, 12:05     View Warnings    #10
Pws
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamus
m4driving deleted my webspace so I don't have them any more.

I think we should make new one... (eventually selected in "Post yer screenies!" thread )
Old 27-09-2003, 23:41     View Warnings    #11
Sven F.

Send a message via MSN to Sven F.
FAQ needs updating, half the links are dead and multiplayer - lots of people asking about it on irc.
Sven F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2004, 21:49     View Warnings    #12
Sven F.

Send a message via MSN to Sven F.
I updated the FAQ since Seamus is away. All links working now.
Mitch, Shmelby, Strat and IH8COPS please pm me when you have valid links to your sites so they can be added.
Sven F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2004, 04:06     View Warnings    #13
nebojssa
Registered

I hope this is the right place to ask this question, and if not, please move it to the corect place. Does Racer, or will Racer ever have lights? I think it would be really nice if racer had lights, some nice high beams or low beams. Imagine nice xenon lights in racer. Is it, or will it be possible?
nebojssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2004, 00:23     View Warnings    #14
raromachine

pcspecs
Updated the links to the latest Beta.
If anyone knows more then me ( which is likely ) could then have a go at updating any sections in the first post - I will merge them back with the top post!
Especially things like Multiplayer and Links and so forth.

Cheers!
raromachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2004, 23:55     View Warnings    #15
Janni1687
Registered

vCash: 6500
Send a message via ICQ to Janni1687 Send a message via AIM to Janni1687 Send a message via MSN to Janni1687
pcspecs
Latest Link to german version is: http://www.t-racing.de/forums/threa...eadid=3024&sid=

the old one is no longer present!
Janni1687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 03:38     View Warnings    #16
Kiwikidbrad
Registered

vCash: 6400
pcspecs
Someone needs to update the beta link again,

also could a link be added to The Racer Knowledge Base http://www.brad.net.nz/racerv8/kb/index.php

RIP Monaro 1987-2005

Projects:
Monaromans Historic V8s - part three coming
Tantra's Surfers Paradise - 60%
Pukekohe Custom Build - 3%
Kiwikidbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 15:02     View Warnings    #17
daddakiller2
Registered

vCash: 5000
Send a message via MSN to daddakiller2
pcspecs
Question

everybody seems to know how to switch on the lights but i dont can somebody help me plz???? tnx in advance
daddakiller2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: